Date

Re: FD.io Nexus SHUTDOWN: 2022-05-16 16:00 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama

We'll be shutting down Nexus shortly. Please open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org if you have any issues.

LF will be decommissioning https://nexus.fd.io on 2022-05-16 at 16:00 UTC. We believe all required artifacts have been migrated to PackageCloud (packages) and S3 (logs and docs).

If your project has artifacts in Nexus that need to be migrated please migrate required artifacts or open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org if you need assistance.

https://nexus.fd.io will no longer be accessible

Re: FD.io Nexus SHUTDOWN: 2022-05-16 16:00 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama

Reminder, Nexus will be shutdown on Monday.

LF will be decommissioning https://nexus.fd.io on 2022-05-16 at 16:00 UTC. We believe all required artifacts have been migrated to PackageCloud (packages) and S3 (logs and docs).

If your project has artifacts in Nexus that need to be migrated please migrate required artifacts or open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org if you need assistance.

https://nexus.fd.io will no longer be accessible

FD.io Nexus SHUTDOWN: 2022-05-16 16:00 UTC

LF will be decommissioning https://nexus.fd.io on 2022-05-16 at 16:00 UTC. We believe all required artifacts have been migrated to PackageCloud (packages) and S3 (logs and docs).

If your project has artifacts in Nexus that need to be migrated please migrate required artifacts or open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org if you need assistance.

https://nexus.fd.io will no longer be accessible

Re: Tutorials / materials

Dave Wallace

Hc2vpp has not had any commits for 2 years [0] so I presume the answer is 'no'.

It should be added to the list of projects to archive.

Thanks,
-daw-

[0] https://github.com/fdio/hc2vpp

On 7/15/21 1:17 PM, Marcos - Mgiga wrote:

Is this Project still available?

Best Regards

From: Casey Cain <ccain@...>
Date: Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 3:53 AM
Subject: [tsc] Call for Mentors and Projects for 2021 LF Networking Mentorship Program

Today, we’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2021 LF Networking Mentorship Program. This is the first year we're bringing all community intern/mentor projects under the LF Networking umbrella to launch with an integrated program schedule and program operations/management. The Program is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

 Why should you consider mentoring for LF Networking Mentorship Program?
  • You believe in the value of mentorship in helping new developers to navigate open source development, the culture, the tooling and infrastructure to be a productive member of the community.
  • You are passionate about teaching and guiding student developers, many of whom may be first time open-source contributors,
  • You are eager to bring in new perspectives, new ideas, and new talent into your community and projects.
  • You have a narrowly scoped mentorship project with clear learning objectives/outcomes and a mentee's work and potential contributions could add value to the project or community of which you're an active developer or maintainer.
 I am interested in mentoring but how do I get started?
What are the elements the LFN Mentorship Program will implement to maximize mentor/mentee collaboration success?
  • Mentor and mentee onboarding will be conducted at the start of the Program
  • Mentor and mentee guide will be available as part of the Linux Foundation CommunityBridge Mentorship initiative
  • Project planning that includes deliverables, milestones, and tasks will be completed collaboratively between the mentors and mentees during the first two weeks of the program and posted on the wiki to increase transparency and accountability.
  • Mentee presentations will be required to sharpen both presentation skills and to cultivate the ability to provide constructive feedback and critique that’s the norm in the open source community for developing technologies collaboratively and openly.
  • Mentee evaluation will be conducted on a regular cadence tied to milestone deliverable schedules to help mentors and LFN staff formalize and respond to progress.
While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD with exemptions allowing for health and safety concerns.).

If you have any questions, please contact mentorship@...

We look forward to your submission of a mentorship project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the LF Networking communities.

Best,
Casey Cain
Technical Program Manager / Community Architect
Linux Foundation
_________________
IRC: CaseyLF
WeChat: okaru6
Voice: +1.408.641.0193

Re: FD.io - Decommission SonarQube Instance

Vanessa Valderrama

Reminder

What:  LF will decomission the FD.io SonarQue instance

When:   2020-07-22 at 1700 UTC

Impact:  sonar.fd.io and code quality reports and history will no longer be accessible

Why:  LF has migrated to SonarCloud. All FD.io project yaml files have been configured for SonarCloud jobs.

FD.io - Decommission SonarQube Instance

Vanessa Valderrama

What:  LF will decomission the FD.io SonarQue instance

When:   2020-07-22 at 1700 UTC

Impact:  sonar.fd.io and code quality reports and history will no longer be accessible

Why:  LF has migrated to SonarCloud. All FD.io project yaml files have been configured for SonarCloud jobs.

Re: SonarQube Question

Vanessa Valderrama

Can anyone confirm if SonarQube history is needed?

LF is migrating from SonarQube to SonarCloud. Does HC2VPP need the
history in sonar.fd.io?

SonarQube Question

Vanessa Valderrama

LF is migrating from SonarQube to SonarCloud. Does HC2VPP need the
history in sonar.fd.io?

Reminder Deadline Feb 28th: Invitation for FD.io Project Proposals to LFN Mentorship Program

Trishan de Lanerolle

We’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2020 LF Networking Mentorship Program. This is the first year we're bringing all community intern/mentor projects, under an integrated program schedule. This is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe, to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

[...]

While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD but will be during Q3 or Q4 of this year or Q1 of the following year).

--
Trishan R. de Lanerolle
Technical Program Manager & Community Architect

[...]

SRv6 policy configuration through HC2VPP

Chinmaya Aggarwal

Hi,

   We have been trying to test SRv6 policy configuration on VPP through hc2vpp.

Following are the issues and concerns encountered during our testing :-

  1. When we try to execute edit-config RPC for the sample SRV6 policy configuration XML, it returns RPC-OK and changes can be seen in candidate data tree. But, when we try to execute commit RPC, an error RPC is returned. This issue has also been raised in HC2VPP mailing list (Issue No. - 552) with supporting logs and sample configuration file.
  2. As we browsed through the SRv6 yang files implemented in hc2vpp project, it has been observed that the last commit was made on Jan 13,2019. Since then, changes has been made in the standard ietf-draft version of srv6 policy yang model. Are there any plans to sync hc2vpp SRv6 policy yang model and standard ietf-draft version of SRv6 policy yang models? This issue has also been raised in HC2VPP mailing list (Issue No. - 554).

Thanks and Regards,

Chinmaya Agarwal.

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message and all of its contents, contains information which is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or may have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete / destroy all copies of this electronic mail transmission without disclosing, copying, distributing, forwarding, printing or retaining any part of it. Hughes Systique accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

SRv6 Policy Yang Changes according to latest IETF-draft

Chinmaya Aggarwal

Hi,
  We have been trying to test SRv6 policy configuration on VPP through hc2vpp. As I browsed through the SRv6 yang files implemented in hc2vpp project, I observed that the last commit was made on Jan 13,2019. Since then, changes has been made in the standard ietf-draft version of srv6 policy yang model.
Are there any plans to sync hc2vpp SRv6 policy yang model and standard ietf-draft version of SRv6 policy yang models?

Edit RPC returns RPC-OK but commit fails for SRv6 policy configuration

Chinmaya Aggarwal

Hi,
  Our use case involves VPP SRv6 policy configuration using hc2vpp. I have installed hc2vpp (v19.04) on my local machine and using the hc2vpp yang files for SRv6 (path : hc2vpp/srv6/srv6-api/src/main/yang/), I have created a sample configuration XML (attached Sample_SRV6_Policy_Configuration.xml) that configures SRv6 policy and steering policy. Connection to hc2vpp from CLI SSh client is made by executing the command "ssh admin@localhost -p 2831 -s netconf". After that we sent a hello rpc and then we sent the edit-config rpc (attached RPC file Srv6_Policy_Config.xml). Edit-config RPC returns RPC-OK (attached edit_rpc_ok_rply). But when i execute commit rpc (attached commit.xml), it returns an error rpc (attached commit_error_rpc_rply). Also, hcvpp_error_logs_for_commit_rpc.txt contains exception seen in hc2vpp console after executing commit rpc.
Kindly suggest what is going wrong here.

Published: FD.io CSIT-1908 Release Report

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) <mkonstan@...>

Hi All,

FD.io CSIT-1908 report has been published on FD.io docs site:

html: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/
pdf: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/_static/archive/csit_rls1908.pdf

Many thanks to All in CSIT, VPP and wider FD.io community who
contributed and worked hard to make CSIT-1908 happen!

Below two summaries:
- CSIT-1908 Release Summary, a high-level summary.
- Points of Note in CSIT-1908 Report, with specific links to report.

Welcome all comments, best by email to csit-dev@....

CSIT-1908 Release Summary
1. CSIT-1908 Report

- html link: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/
- pdf link: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/_static/archive/csit_rls1908.pdf

2. New Tests

- VM/VNF service chains with DPDK Testpmd and VPP L2/IPv4 workloads
and external VXLAN encapsulation.
- IPsec with new VPP native cipher algorithms, baseline and large
scale (up to 60k tunnels).
- VM/VNF service chains with VPP IPsec workloads, baseline and
horizontal scaling (experimental, in-testing).
- GBP (Group Based Policy) with external dot1q encapsulation.
- Extended test coverage with VPP native AVF driver: IPv4 scale tests.
- Refreshed VPP TCP/HTTP tests.
- Number of VPP functional device tests running in container based
environment.
- Good VPP PAPI (Python API) test coverage, PAPI used for all VPP
tests.

3. Benchmarking

- Added new processor micro-architectures: ARM/AArch64 (TaiShan) and
Atom (Denverton).

- New testbeds onboarded into FD.io CSIT CI/CD functional and
performance test pipelines.
- Daily trending with throughput changes monitoring, analytics and
anomaly auto-detection.
- Release reports with benchmarking data including throughput,
latency, test repeatibility.

- Updated CSIT benchmarking report specification

- Consistent selection of tests across all testbeds and processor
microarchitectures present in FD.io labs (Xeon, Atom, ARM) for
iterative benchmarking tests to verify results repeatibility. Data
presented in graphs conveying NDR (non-drop rate, zero packet
loss) and PDR (partial drop rate) throughput statistics.
Multi-core speedup and latency are also presented.
- Consistent comparison of NDR and PDR throughput results across the
releases.
- Updated graph naming and test grouping to improve browsability and
access to test data.

- Increased test coverage in 2-node testbed environment (2n-skx).

- Updated soak testing methodology and new results, aligned with
latest IETF draft specification draft-vpolak-bmwg-plrsearch-02.

4. Infrastructure

- API
- PAPI (Python API) used for all VPP tests, migrated away from VAT
(VPP API Test).
- VPP API change detection and gating in VPP and CSIT CI/CD.

- Test Environments
- VPP functional device tests: migrated away from VIRL (VM based) to
container environment (with Nomad).
- Added new physical testbeds: ARM/AArch64 (TaiShan) and Atom
(Denverton).

- CSIT Framework
- Conifguration keyword alignment across 2-node and 3-node testbeds to
ease test portability across environments.

- Installer
- Updated bare-metal CSIT performance testbed installer (ansible).

Points of Note in CSIT-1908 Report
Indexed specific links listed at the bottom.

1. VPP release notes
a. Changes in CSIT-1908: [1]
b. Known issues: [2]

2. VPP performance - 64B/IMIX throughput graphs (selected NIC models):
a. Graphs explained: [3]
b. L2 Ethernet Switching: [4]
c. IPv4 Routing: [5]
d. IPv6 Routing: [6]
e. SRv6 Routing: [7]
f. IPv4 Tunnels: [8]
g. KVM VMs vhost-user: [9]
h. LXC/DRC Container Memif: [10]
e. IPsec IPv4 Routing: [11]
f. Virtual Topology System: [12]

3. VPP performance - multi-core and latency graphs:
a. Speedup Multi-Core: [13]
b. Latency: [14]

4. VPP system performance - NFV service density and TCP/IP:
a. VNF (VM) Service Chains: [15]
b. CNF (Container) Service Chains: [16]
c. CNF (Container) Service Pipelines: [17]
d. HTTP and TCP/IP: [18]

4. VPP performance comparisons
a. VPP-19.08 vs. VPP-19.04: [19]

5. VPP performance test details - all NICs:
a. Detailed results 64B IMIX 1518B 9kB: [20]
b. Configuration: [21]

DPDK Testpmd and L3fwd performance sections follow similar structure.

6. DPDK applications:
a. Release notes: [22]
b. DPDK performance - 64B throughput graphs: [23]
c. DPDK performance - latency graphs: [24]
d. DPDK performance - DPDK-1905 vs. DPDK-19.01: [25]

Functional tests, including VPP_Device (functional device tests),
VPP_VIRL and HoneyComb are all included in the report.

Specific links within the report:

[1] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html#changes-in-csit-release
[2] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html#known-issues
[3] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[4] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2.html
[5] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip4.html
[6] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip6.html
[7] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/srv6.html
[8] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip4_tunnels.html
[9] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vm_vhost.html
[10] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/container_memif.html
[11] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ipsec.html
[12] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vts.html
[13] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/throughput_speedup_multi_core/index.html
[14] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_latency_graphs/index.html
[15] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/nf_service_density/vnf_service_chains.html
[16] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/nf_service_density/cnf_service_chains.html
[17] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/nf_service_density/cnf_service_pipelines.html
[18] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/http_server_performance/index.html
[19] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html
[20] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/detailed_test_results/vpp_performance_results/index.html
[21] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/test_configuration/vpp_performance_configuration/index.html
[22] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html
[23] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[24] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_latency_graphs/index.html
[25] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html

VPP 19.08 artifacts deferral notice and 19.08.1 schedule

Dave Wallace

Dear FD.io Project Members,

[ Note: FD.io <project>-dev email lists BCC'd to reduce noise ]

As discussed in this week's VPP Bi-Weekly Community Meeting, there
is the necessity to introduce a critical fix that breaks VPP API
compatibility. Therefore we need to defer ALL 19.08 release artifacts
and publish 19.08.1 as soon as practicable.

We apologize in advance for this inconvenience. The details are
in the VPP 19.08.1 release note change set [0].

We plan to merge the API-breaking fix into stable/1908 on Monday
9 September 2019 at 9am CET, and would like to cut the VPP 19.08.1
release on Thursday 12 September. The timing is rather tight to
avoid accumulating too many additional commits to stable/1908 and
to minimize the changes between 19.08 and 19.08.1.

Please review the release note change set [0] and add yourself as
a reviewer to be informed of any changes to the plan.

PTLs, please indicate that your project is okay with these dates or
add your desired dates on-gerrit and save the changes to [0].

We would also kindly ask that even if you are okay with these dates,
that you add 1 or 2 persons from your project as reviewers to [0],
to be able to efficiently communicate any changes to the plan to all
interested project teams.

Thanks,
Andrew & Dave
"Your Friendly VPP Release Managers"

[0] https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/vpp/+/21829/

Re: A question about hc2vpp startup, thanks

Michal Cmarada

Hi,

seems like you are missing JVPP(or correct version of jvpp). Check if you have installed the jvpp package. Also check if VPP and JVPP is correct version for 19.04 version you need 19.04 versions for all VPP, JVPP and hc2vpp (19.04.1 will not work, we haven’t released 19.04.1 version for jvpp and hc2vpp).

If you want to build from source you can download VPP binary packages including dev packages, then you need to build and install JVPP(check the readme file in JVPP project) afterwards you can build hc2vpp. Use 19.04. branch, because master was broken. After successful build you can also create your own packages for JVPP and hc2vpp.

Best regards

Michal