Date   
Reminder Deadline Feb 28th: Invitation for FD.io Project Proposals to LFN Mentorship Program

Trishan de Lanerolle
 

We’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2020 LF Networking Mentorship Program. This is the first year we're bringing all community intern/mentor projects, under an integrated program schedule. This is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe, to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

  I am interested in mentoring but how do I get started? 

Why should you consider mentoring for LF Networking Mentorship Program?
  • You believe in the value of mentorship in helping new developers to navigate open source development, the culture, the tooling and infrastructure to be a productive member of the community.  
  • You are passionate about teaching and guiding student developers, many of whom may be first time open-source contributors, 
  • You are eager to bring in new perspectives, new ideas, and new talent into your community and projects.
  • You have a narrowly scoped mentorship project with clear learning objectives/outcomes and a mentee's work and potential contributions could add value to the project or community of which you're an active developer or maintainer.     

What are the elements the LFN Mentorship Program will implement to maximize mentor/mentee collaboration success?
  • Mentor and mentee onboarding will be conducted at the start of the Program
  • Mentor and mentee guide will be available as part of the Linux Foundation CommunityBridge Mentorship initiative
  • Project planning that includes deliverables, milestones, and tasks will be completed collaboratively between the mentors and mentees during the first two weeks of the program and posted on the wiki to increase transparency and accountability.
  • Mentee presentations will be required to sharpen both presentation skills and to cultivate the ability to provide constructive feedback and critique that’s the norm in the open source community for developing technologies collaboratively and openly.
  • Mentee evaluation will be conducted on a regular cadence tied to milestone deliverable schedules to help mentors and LFN staff formalize and respond to progress.
While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD but will be during Q3 or Q4 of this year or Q1 of the following year).

If you have any questions, please contact mentorship@...

We look forward to your submission of a mentorship project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the LF Networking communities.

--
Trishan R. de Lanerolle
Technical Program Manager & Community Architect 
Networking, Linux Foundation
voice: +1.203.699.6401
skype: tdelanerolle

Invitation for FD.io Project Proposals to LFN Mentorship Program

Trishan de Lanerolle
 

We’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2020 LF Networking Mentorship Program. This is the first year we're bringing all community intern/mentor projects, under an integrated program schedule. This is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe, to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

  I am interested in mentoring but how do I get started? 

Why should you consider mentoring for LF Networking Mentorship Program?
  • You believe in the value of mentorship in helping new developers to navigate open source development, the culture, the tooling and infrastructure to be a productive member of the community.  
  • You are passionate about teaching and guiding student developers, many of whom may be first time open-source contributors, 
  • You are eager to bring in new perspectives, new ideas, and new talent into your community and projects.
  • You have a narrowly scoped mentorship project with clear learning objectives/outcomes and a mentee's work and potential contributions could add value to the project or community of which you're an active developer or maintainer.     

What are the elements the LFN Mentorship Program will implement to maximize mentor/mentee collaboration success?
  • Mentor and mentee onboarding will be conducted at the start of the Program
  • Mentor and mentee guide will be available as part of the Linux Foundation CommunityBridge Mentorship initiative
  • Project planning that includes deliverables, milestones, and tasks will be completed collaboratively between the mentors and mentees during the first two weeks of the program and posted on the wiki to increase transparency and accountability.
  • Mentee presentations will be required to sharpen both presentation skills and to cultivate the ability to provide constructive feedback and critique that’s the norm in the open source community for developing technologies collaboratively and openly.
  • Mentee evaluation will be conducted on a regular cadence tied to milestone deliverable schedules to help mentors and LFN staff formalize and respond to progress.
While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD but will be during Q3 or Q4 of this year or Q1 of the following year).

If you have any questions, please contact mentorship@...

We look forward to your submission of a mentorship project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the LF Networking communities.

--
Trishan R. de Lanerolle
Technical Program Manager & Community Architect 
Networking, Linux Foundation
voice: +1.203.699.6401
skype: tdelanerolle

VPP 19.08 artifacts deferral notice and 19.08.1 schedule

Dave Wallace
 

Dear FD.io Project Members,

[ Note: FD.io <project>-dev email lists BCC'd to reduce noise ]

As discussed in this week's VPP Bi-Weekly Community Meeting, there
is the necessity to introduce a critical fix that breaks VPP API
compatibility. Therefore we need to defer ALL 19.08 release artifacts
and publish 19.08.1 as soon as practicable.

We apologize in advance for this inconvenience. The details are
in the VPP 19.08.1 release note change set [0].

We plan to merge the API-breaking fix into stable/1908 on Monday
9 September 2019 at 9am CET, and would like to cut the VPP 19.08.1
release on Thursday 12 September. The timing is rather tight to
avoid accumulating too many additional commits to stable/1908 and
to minimize the changes between 19.08 and 19.08.1.

Please review the release note change set [0] and add yourself as
a reviewer to be informed of any changes to the plan.

PTLs, please indicate that your project is okay with these dates or
add your desired dates on-gerrit and save the changes to [0].

We would also kindly ask that even if you are okay with these dates,
that you add 1 or 2 persons from your project as reviewers to [0],
to be able to efficiently communicate any changes to the plan to all
interested project teams.

Thanks,
Andrew & Dave
"Your Friendly VPP Release Managers"

[0] https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/c/vpp/+/21829/

FD.io - Gerrit 2.16 Changes

Vanessa Valderrama
 

Changes that will happen with Gerrit:

1) The 'New UI' for Gerrit will become the default UI

2) The Draft work flow is removed and replaced with 'Work in Progress'
aka 'WIP' and 'Private' workflows. Unfortunately git-review does not
support either of these workflows directly. Utilizing them means either
pushing your changes the manual way for either system or pushing them up
with git-review and then marking the change via the UI into either of
the workflows.

To push a private change you may do so as follows:
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master%private

To pull it out of private you may do so as follows:
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master%remove-private

To push a WIP you may do so as follows:
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master%wip

To mark it ready for review you may do so as follows:
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master%ready

Once a change is in either private or WIP state it does not switch the
change to a ready state until the current state has been removed.

In both cases, the state can be set via the UI by selecting the tripple
dot menu option on the change and selecting the appropriate option.

To remove WIP state press the 'START REVIEW' button. To remove the
private state you must do so via the menu.

NOTE: We are not moving to Gerrit 3 at this time. That is on the road
map but we need to come to the latest 2.x as we have to do various
migrations that are only available at the 2.16 level before we can move
to Gerrit 3.

Thank you,
Vanessa

LF Service Desk ticketing changes

Trishan de Lanerolle
 

Service Desk migration

The Linux Foundation IT is migrating from email-based support system using Request Tracker to a web-based platform provided by Jira Service Desk. We are doing this in order to improve our level of service and your support experience.


The following are the primary improvements you should expect after migration is complete:


  1. Single Sign-On with other Linux Foundation sites, using the same LF ID credentials

  2. Integration with knowledge base articles to help identify possible self-service solutions

  3. Ability to track all your support requests across various projects via the same service desk interface

  4. Ability to see public issues created by other members of your project


The new service desk will become available to you starting Monday, June 17, 2019.


Any support requests that are already open in RT will be preserved and completed there, so there is no need to re-submit them again using the Jira Service Desk. Any new tickets created in RT will be automatically closed with a suggestion and instructions to use the new service desk procedure.


Starting Monday, June 17, please use the procedure described in the attached “Getting LF IT Help” document.


If you need help with anything IT-related for your FD.io project, please use our Service Desk
platform to open a support request: https://
support.linuxfoundation.org



Call for 2019 FD.io Internship Projects and Mentors

Trishan de Lanerolle
 

FD.io Technical Community,

We’re excited to open the call for the 2019 internship mentors and project ideas. We’re looking to sponsor four internship projects this year.

LFN Internships are for University or College students who are interested in contributing to real-world impactful Networking Open Source projects. Each intern will be working with a mentor from the FD.io project community to complete a project either in 3 months (full time 40 hours a week) or 6 months (part time 20 hours a week). This is a paid internship program that accepts applications throughout the year and the internship projects usually start on a quarterly schedule. As an open source project, each intern will work remotely from his or her location of choice.

If you’ve identified a project or task that’s suitable for an internship project and you’re interested in mentoring a student developer, please define the project by completing the internship project proposal template on the wiki by April 10th. (https://wiki.fd.io/view/Interns/Projects )

A few things to note as you plan to submit a project for consideration:
  • Multiple mentors supervising one intern per project would be desirable as this helps spread the workload and reduce the challenge of coverage caused by working remotely with an intern in a different time zone.
  • The mentor(s) need to be familiar with the project and is/are expected to directly supervise the intern’s technical work.
  • The proposed project needs to be clearly scoped and structured to be suitable for an internship project.
  • The project should be related to one of the current FD.io projects or tools.

Interns will be eligible to receive a stipend. The stipend will be paid in several installments provided that regular interval evaluations show the intern is making satisfactory progress. Additional details about LFN internships are available here

We look forward to your submission of a project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the FD.io community.

Regards,
Trishan












--
Trishan R. de Lanerolle
Program Manager,  Networking
Linux Foundation
voice: +1.203.699.6401
skype: tdelanerolle

Invitation to report out to the TSC

Trishan de Lanerolle
 

Hi,
The FD.io TSC would like to extend an invitation to community projects to provide a status updates on work, anticipated roadmap or any challenges they are working through. We hope this will be an opportunity to gain additional insights into the great work going on within our diverse community of projects. 

Please sign up for a slot and designate your project lead/representative for the meeting day of your choice.  


Anticipate one project to present per week.  A short presentation (10-12 minutes) during the weekly TSC call.  The TSC calls are always open to the community to attend. 

Regards, 
Trishan 





--
Trishan R. de Lanerolle
Program Manager,  Networking
Linux Foundation
voice: +1.203.699.6401
skype: tdelanerolle

FD.io minisummit @ Kubecon EU May 2-4 Copenhagen CFP opens

Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
 

FD.io will be holding a minisummit @Kubecon EU May 2-4 in Copenhagen.
Please submit your talks at the CFP here:


Ed

Re: [csit-dev] fd.io Community Goals and Objectives for reporting to the LFN board

Ray Kinsella
 

Hi folks,

So the LFN TAC is looking to close on the “Community goals and priorities” rollup by 9th March.
This exercise is part of the process of obtaining a fair share of resources for FD.io in 2018.

So if you haven’t already, please canvass your committers and contributors for their 2018 project plans.
What new features do they anticipate developing? Are there plans for validation, new platform or hardware support etc ?
You can either reply to this email directly, or send a note to myself or Ed W.

Much appreciated, thanks,

Ray K

From: csit-dev-bounces@... [mailto:csit-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ed Warnicke
Sent: Thursday 1 February 2018 16:43
To: tsc@...; discuss@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; tldk-dev@...; dmm-dev@...; odp4vpp-dev@...; pma_tools-dev@...
Subject: [csit-dev] fd.io Community Goals and Objectives for reporting to the LFN board

FD.io has recently transitioned from being its own independent foundation, to being one of several projects (ONAP, OpNFV, ODL, etc) under the Linux Foundation Networking (LFN) umbrella. 

As part of this transition, the LFN board has asked to be educated about what Goals and Objectives the community intends to undertake in the next year.   Since an Open Source community intrinsically is a harmonious collection of folks working on different things, the only way to ascertain what its is really planning to do is to *ask* what folks are planning to do.

What are the plans of various folks participating in the community for 2018?  What are the themes of the problems you are planning to address, the kinds of features you are looking to implement etc?

Ed

Migration to Groups.io tomorrow morning 2/08

Brendan OSullivan <bosullivan@...>
 

Greetings FD.io community!

We apologize for the relatively late notice, as this normally would have been communicated earlier.

The Linux Foundation has connected with a new vendor called Groups.io, which provides mailing list services in a simple but modern interface. Groups.io offers all of the capabilities of our existing Mailman mailing service plus additional community tools that make it an exceptional service solution.


We are planning to set your project up with Groups.io service and migrate your existing mailing list archives and user lists, including preferences, tomorrow morning February 8th.


During the migration window you will still be able to access the archives, however the delivery of messages sent to the mailing lists during this window will be delayed until after the migration of the archives and list members are complete. We will turn off new list signups during the migration window, then this functionality will be restored once it is complete.


FAQs

What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?

  • Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives

  • Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello

  • Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more

  • Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to


How do the costs compare?

  • The Linux Foundation can provide project-branded Groups.io accounts to projects for less cost than managing our in-house Mailman systems.


How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?

In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs.


Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:


https://lists.projectname.org/g/main

https://lists.projectname.org/g/devs

https://lists.projectname.org/g/ci

main@...

devs@...

ci@...


One of the nice features of Groups.io is that you log in once, and can use the My Groups dropdown in the top menu and easily move between the lists that you are participating in without logging in to each of them separately.


Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.


If you’d like to learn more about using Groups.io , please reference their help documentation. If you need assistance with Groups.io, please email helpdesk@... for The Linux Foundation’s helpdesk.


Cheers!
Brendan OSullivan

Helpdesk Analyst

fd.io Community Goals and Objectives for reporting to the LFN board

Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
 

FD.io has recently transitioned from being its own independent foundation, to being one of several projects (ONAP, OpNFV, ODL, etc) under the Linux Foundation Networking (LFN) umbrella. 

As part of this transition, the LFN board has asked to be educated about what Goals and Objectives the community intends to undertake in the next year.   Since an Open Source community intrinsically is a harmonious collection of folks working on different things, the only way to ascertain what its is really planning to do is to *ask* what folks are planning to do.

What are the plans of various folks participating in the community for 2018?  What are the themes of the problems you are planning to address, the kinds of features you are looking to implement etc?

Ed

Re: [vpp-dev] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
 

Bump...

Would it make sense to talk about this some at the vpp-dev meeting tomorrow?

Ed

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM Burt Silverman <burtms@...> wrote:
Search is somewhat painful with mailman. Otherwise I like it. Having said that, I have just learned about zgrep, and that simplifies the process, along with the fact that vim works on gzipped files.

Burt

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Ole Troan <otroan@...> wrote:
Two points:

- What's their business model? Are we now going to be the product?
- History has shown that doing mail correctly has been too hard for many... is there any indication that these people have clue?
  Or are they just focusing on "pretty" and lockin?

Consider me skeptical,
Ole

> On 14 Dec 2017, at 16:45, Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...> wrote:
>
> A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io
>
> As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)
>
> We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at
>
> And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi
>
> Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.
>
> The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:
>
> FAQs
> Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?
> ●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
> ●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
> ●     Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
> ●     Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to
>
> Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?
> In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:
>
> https://lists.fd.io/g/tsc
> https://lists.fd.io/g/discuss
> https:/lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev
> tsc@...
> discuss@...
> vpp-dev@...
>
> What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> vpp-dev mailing list
> vpp-dev@...
> https://lists.fd.io/mailman/listinfo/vpp-dev


_______________________________________________
vpp-dev mailing list
vpp-dev@...
https://lists.fd.io/mailman/listinfo/vpp-dev

Re: [vpp-dev] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Burt Silverman <burtms@...>
 

Search is somewhat painful with mailman. Otherwise I like it. Having said that, I have just learned about zgrep, and that simplifies the process, along with the fact that vim works on gzipped files.

Burt

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM, Ole Troan <otroan@...> wrote:
Two points:

- What's their business model? Are we now going to be the product?
- History has shown that doing mail correctly has been too hard for many... is there any indication that these people have clue?
  Or are they just focusing on "pretty" and lockin?

Consider me skeptical,
Ole

> On 14 Dec 2017, at 16:45, Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...> wrote:
>
> A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io
>
> As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)
>
> We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at
>
> And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi
>
> Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.
>
> The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:
>
> FAQs
> Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?
> ●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
> ●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
> ●     Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
> ●     Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to
>
> Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?
> In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:
>
> https://lists.fd.io/g/tsc
> https://lists.fd.io/g/discuss
> https:/lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev
> tsc@...
> discuss@...
> vpp-dev@...
>
> What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> vpp-dev mailing list
> vpp-dev@...
> https://lists.fd.io/mailman/listinfo/vpp-dev


_______________________________________________
vpp-dev mailing list
vpp-dev@...
https://lists.fd.io/mailman/listinfo/vpp-dev

Re: [vpp-dev] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Ole Troan <otroan@...>
 

Two points:

- What's their business model? Are we now going to be the product?
- History has shown that doing mail correctly has been too hard for many... is there any indication that these people have clue?
Or are they just focusing on "pretty" and lockin?

Consider me skeptical,
Ole

On 14 Dec 2017, at 16:45, Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...> wrote:

A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io

As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate. A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)

We have a sandbox example at https://groups.io/g/lfn you can look at

And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi

Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.

The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:

FAQs
Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?
●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
● Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
● Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?
In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:

https://lists.fd.io/g/tsc
https://lists.fd.io/g/discuss
https:/lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev
tsc@...
discuss@...
vpp-dev@...

What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.


_______________________________________________
vpp-dev mailing list
vpp-dev@...
https://lists.fd.io/mailman/listinfo/vpp-dev

Re: [csit-dev] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Thomas F Herbert <therbert@...>
 

I have found the UI for moderation on Mailman a little difficult.

Both systems require authentication via email to join. I would think that would reduce most bots/SPAM.

So the advantage if any of Groups.io is that it has a better gui. Do we se have use for  its wiki or calendar?

I have found the moderation view of the mailman gui a little confusing and maybe this I think may be the best advantage of groups.io. At least from the standpoint of a somewhat light user of moderation.

I think it would be transparent to participants.

--Tom


On 12/14/2017 10:45 AM, Ed Warnicke wrote:
A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io

As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)

We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at

And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi

Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.

The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:

FAQs
Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?
●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?
In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:


What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.




_______________________________________________
csit-dev mailing list
csit-dev@...
https://lists.fd.io/mailman/listinfo/csit-dev

--
Thomas F Herbert
NFV and Fast Data Planes
Networking Group Office of the CTO
Red Hat

Re: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Dave Barach (dbarach) <dbarach@...>
 

Minor quibble with the assertion that we don’t “moderate” our discussions. I spend a bit of time every day dealing with messages sent e.g. to vpp-dev from (a) folks who aren’t members of the list, and (b) spam / phish emails.

 

You’d be surprised how much category (b) email needs to be disposed of...

 

Thanks… Dave

 

From: discuss-bounces@... [mailto:discuss-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Joel Halpern
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:51 AM
To: Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>; tsc@...; discuss@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; honeycomb-dev <honeycomb-dev@...>; deb_dpdk-dev@...; rpm_dpdk@...; nsh_sfc-dev@...; odp4vpp-dev@...; pma_tools-dev@...; puppet-fdio@...; tldk-dev@...; trex-dev@...
Subject: Re: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

 

I like having good searchable archives.

 

I have to say that I am completely turned off by the end of the FAQ.  We don’t “moderate” any of our discussions.  And unless something is very strange, the use of groups.io vs mailman better not have any visible effect on participation in the email discussions.

 

Listing features like wikis seems also counter-productive.  I do not want us to have two separate wiki spaces. 

 

Polls would be nice once in a while (although doodle seems to work just fine for most folks.)

 

If we want calendaring, I would want it integrated in the wiki, not part of the mailing list.

 

Yours,

Joel

 

From: discuss-bounces@... [mailto:discuss-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ed Warnicke
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:45 AM
To: tsc@...; discuss@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; honeycomb-dev <honeycomb-dev@...>; deb_dpdk-dev@...; rpm_dpdk@...; nsh_sfc-dev@...; odp4vpp-dev@...; pma_tools-dev@...; puppet-fdio@...; tldk-dev@...; trex-dev@...
Subject: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

 

A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io

 

As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)

 

We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at

 

And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi

 

Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.

 

The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:

 

FAQs

Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?

●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives

●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello

●             Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more

●             Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

 

Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?

In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:

 

 

What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.

 

 

Re: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
 

Joel,

We *sort* of moderate our discussions.  As an anti-spam measure currently, if you are not subscribed to a mailer, and have not been previously 'whitelisted', your email is 'held for moderation' by the LF staff, which take a quick look to see if you are a spammer, and if not, they add you to the whitelist.   Essentially we 'moderate' out spammers, but all other conversation is completely inbounds.

As to other features, part of the discussion is which features we want to take advantage of.  Delighted to have your input on that :)

Ed

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...> wrote:

I like having good searchable archives.

 

I have to say that I am completely turned off by the end of the FAQ.  We don’t “moderate” any of our discussions.  And unless something is very strange, the use of groups.io vs mailman better not have any visible effect on participation in the email discussions.

 

Listing features like wikis seems also counter-productive.  I do not want us to have two separate wiki spaces. 

 

Polls would be nice once in a while (although doodle seems to work just fine for most folks.)

 

If we want calendaring, I would want it integrated in the wiki, not part of the mailing list.

 

Yours,

Joel

 

From: discuss-bounces@... [mailto:discuss-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ed Warnicke
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:45 AM
To: tsc@...; discuss@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; honeycomb-dev <honeycomb-dev@...>; deb_dpdk-dev@...; rpm_dpdk@...; nsh_sfc-dev@...; odp4vpp-dev@...; pma_tools-dev@...; puppet-fdio@...; tldk-dev@...; trex-dev@...
Subject: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

 

A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io

 

As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)

 

We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at

 

And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi

 

Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.

 

The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:

 

FAQs

Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?

●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives

●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello

●             Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more

●             Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

 

Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?

In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:

 

 

What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.

 

 

Re: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...>
 

I like having good searchable archives.

 

I have to say that I am completely turned off by the end of the FAQ.  We don’t “moderate” any of our discussions.  And unless something is very strange, the use of groups.io vs mailman better not have any visible effect on participation in the email discussions.

 

Listing features like wikis seems also counter-productive.  I do not want us to have two separate wiki spaces. 

 

Polls would be nice once in a while (although doodle seems to work just fine for most folks.)

 

If we want calendaring, I would want it integrated in the wiki, not part of the mailing list.

 

Yours,

Joel

 

From: discuss-bounces@... [mailto:discuss-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ed Warnicke
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:45 AM
To: tsc@...; discuss@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; honeycomb-dev <honeycomb-dev@...>; deb_dpdk-dev@...; rpm_dpdk@...; nsh_sfc-dev@...; odp4vpp-dev@...; pma_tools-dev@...; puppet-fdio@...; tldk-dev@...; trex-dev@...
Subject: [discuss] New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

 

A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io

 

As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)

 

We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at

 

And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi

 

Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.

 

The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:

 

FAQs

Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?

●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives

●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello

●             Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more

●             Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

 

Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?

In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:

 

 

What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.

 

 

New Option for fd.io mailing lists: groups.io

Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
 

A new option has become available for handling mailing lists: groups.io

As a community, we need to look at this option, provide feedback, and come to a decision as to whether or not to migrate.  A critical part of that is having folks take a look, ask questions, and express opinions :)

We have a sandbox example at  https://groups.io/g/lfn  you can look at

And an example with active list and imported archive: https://lists.odpi.org/g/odpi-sig-bi

Major benefits include searchability, better web interface, etc.

The LF was kind enough to write a FAQ for us as we consider as a community whether to migrate or not:

FAQs
Q: What are the key differences between Mailman and Groups.io?
●Groups.io has a modern interface, robust user security model, and interactive, searchable archives
●Groups.io provides advanced features including muting threads and integrations with modern tools like GitHub, Slack, and Trello
Groups.io also has optional extras like a shared calendar, polling, chat, a wiki, and more
Groups.io uses a concept of subgroups, where members first join the project “group” (a master list), then they choose the specific “subgroup” lists they want to subscribe to

Q: How is the experience different for me as a list moderator or participant?
In many ways, it is very much the same. You will still find the main group at your existing URL and sub-groups equate to the more focused mailing lists based on the community’s needs. Here is an example of main group and sub-group URL patterns, and their respective emails:


What is different is Groups.io’s simple but highly functional UI that will make the experience of moderating or participating in the community discussions more enjoyable.


ONS CFP Open - Please propose fd.io related talks

Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
 

ONS will be held Mar 26-29 in Los Angeles.

The CFP has opened:


Please propose fd.io related talks there.

Ed