Re: [vpp-dev] Replacing master/slave nomenclature

Edward Warnicke

I tend to prefer permitlist/denylist personally... but I may have configured one too many ACLs in my life...

Ed

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:49 PM Christian Hopps <chopps@...> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2020, at 1:20 PM, St Leger, Jim <jim.st.leger@...> wrote:
>
> I believe the DPDK community converged on:
> master/slave lcore -> initial/worker lcore

VPP is ok here I think with "main" and "worker".

> blacklist/whitelist -> blocklist/allowlist

That one feels a bit clunky to me. I wonder why they didn't go for something more natural like

  nouns: blocked/allowed
  verbs: block/allow

The terms blacklist/whitelist can be a nouns or verbs, and I suspect they are often not implemented as an actual list data structure, so trying to keep the "list" suffix seems an unnecessary carryover (and sounds clunky IMHO). :)

Thanks,
Chris.

Join tsc@lists.fd.io to automatically receive all group messages.