Date

Re: Scapy licensing issue in FD.io projects [Was: TRex distribution and licensing of external libraries]

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

Resending from Cisco email account as it’s back and cleared for sending emails to tsc mailer.
Adding Miroslav, Hanoh and Vratko who has been also involved here (Miroslav brought up the issue).

Ed, Ray,

Per our discussion on FD.io TSC call few mins ago, pls advise on the next steps.
Specifically, how to articulate this case in a crisp and succinct manner for LF(N) legal advisor?

On 10 Oct 2019, at 16:15, Maciek Konstantynowicz <mackonstan@...> wrote:

Correcting the email subject to make it clear it’s related to Scapy licensing agenda topic for today’s FD.io TSC meeting.

On 10 Oct 2019, at 16:12, Maciek Konstantynowicz <mackonstan@...> wrote:

Hi, Here is the background to Scapy licensing agenda topic for today’s FD.io TSC meeting.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Miroslav Los -X (mirlos - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)" <mirlos@...>
Subject: TRex distribution and licensing of external libraries
Date: 26 September 2019 at 15:02:36 BST
To: "Hanoch Haim (hhaim)" <hhaim@...>
Cc: "Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)" <vrpolak@...>, "Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)" <mkonstan@...>

Hi,

I’ve been looking at the dependencies for TRex’s client library, in order to find if it could be distributed independent of the complete trex-core distribution.

I have noticed that the external_lib contains code from several other projects, and may or may not have been modified.
It is reportedly the case for at least pyzmq-ctypes and scapy. Pyzmq-ctypes, apparently abandoned by its original authors, is licensed under GNU LGPL.

Whereas scapy is GPLv2 – in the 2.3.1 version included, this was indicated in the setup.py file of the original release sources on github; the authors added an explicit LICENSE file with GPLv2 for the next version. Nonetheless, TRex would not have any license other than the GPLv2 which would let it distribute scapy 2.3.1.

I do not see the licensing terms for either of those packages indicated in the distribution, or repository. Nor do I believe the Apache 2.0 license of TRex can be applied to that code.

And most importantly, any code that imports those modules, as it may be a derived work. I’ve only seen scapy used by code under the scripts directory. I think the licensing of those parts of TRex distribution should be clarified, or otherwise resolved. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Miroslav

FD.io Jenkins Issues

Vanessa Valderrama

We experience issues with the Nomad containers this morning and we're
now experiencing issues with Jenkins due to the queue size.

Ed Kern and I are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Re: FD.io Nexus Maintenance: 2019-09-25 1700 UTC to 2100 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama

Nexus and Jenkins are back up. Jobs are running. Please report any issues to support.linuxfoundation.org.

Starting maintenance

Jenkins has been placed in shut down mode to prepare for maintenance.

LF will performing maintenance on the Nexus server to migrate data to two new SSD volumes in attempt to resolve the intermittent issue with hung jobs we are experiencing

  • Migrate Nexus data to new volumes
When:
2019-09-25 1700 UTC to 2100 UTC

Impact:
We will place Jenkins in shutdown mode at 1600 UTC. Jobs will be aborted at 1700 UTC
Jenkins and Nexus will be unavailable during this time

You can subscribe to status updates here:
https://fdio.statuspage.io/incidents/f5tfpfdyd8l0

[...]

Maintenance Reminder

[...]

Ray to chair this weeks FD.io TSC meeting, Florin Coras has my proxy as member

Edward Warnicke

Ray has graciously agreed to chair this week's FD.io TSC meeting, and Florin Coras has agreed to be my proxy for it.

Ed

Re: Corrections to FD.io 19.08 PR content/links

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

Hello,

And few more typos that Jerome and me picked up:

1. "an open source project within tThe Linux Foundation’s LF Networking (LFN)”
  - Typo: replace “tThe” with ”The.”

2. "focused on becoming the world’s packet processing data plane”
  - Syntax: replace ”world’s”with ”world’s fastest”.

3. "today announced the availability of software release 19.08”
  - Syntax: replace “19.08" with "v19.08”. Same applies to all other instances of “19.08” and “19.01”.

4. "forwarding match all rule"
  - Typo: "match-all"

5. "including the integration of Intel® Multi-buffer Crypto for IPSec library”
  - Missing info: "including the integration of Intel® Multi-buffer Crypto for IPSec library and native VPP crypto_ia32 library"

7. "providing significant performance improvement
  - Typo: "providing significant performance improvements"

9. "IETF compliant segment routing
  - Typos and missing info: "IETF compliant Segment Routing (SRv6 and MPLS SR)"

10. "VPP’s Host Stack provides a platform-independent subgraph for processing Layer 2 and 3 networking traffic. Release 19.08 adds the following to the network stack – speeding rule processing, cryptography, and overall network interface robustness:
  - Semantics: this looks like a copy&paste error of previous paragraph header that has been edited and resulted in misleading text. VPP Host Stack does not deal with Layer 2 network traffic. All red text SHOULD be deleted.

12. "High-performance Layer 4 support for UCP, TCP, TLS and QUIC"
  - Typo: replace ”UCP” with ”UDP”.

13. "and delivery rate estimation (the later which is useful to future planned congestion control algorithms like Bottleneck Bandwidth and Round-trip propagation time (BBR)
  - Typos: "and delivery rate estimation (the latter is useful for planned congestion control algorithms like Bottleneck Bandwidth and Round-trip propagation time (BBR))"

14. "Many of the above features contribute directly to ongoing FD.io VPP performance gains. Detailed performance test results associated with Release 19.08 can be viewed here (AVG) and here (TCP).”
  - Missing info: "Many of the above features contribute directly to ongoing FD.io VPP performance gains. Detailed performance test results associated with Release v19.08 can be viewed in FD.io CSIT-1908 report [Throughput] and [TCP/IP] graphs and data."

15. "Worker thread level stat
  - Syntax: "Worker thread level statistics"

Number of other punctuation inconsistencies and errors, as well as number of nested parentheses uses that could be improved too (see nesting brackets [0]), but that’s minor :)
Hope you find above suggestions useful.

On 19 Sep 2019, at 12:27, Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) <mkonstan@...> wrote:

Hi,

Looks good!

But the links to CSIT performance report are incorrect - in this sentence:

"Detailed performance test results associated with Release 19.08 can be viewed here (AVG) and here (TCP)."

[here (AVG)]
points to url: https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2-2n-skx-xxv710.html
should point to: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2-2n-skx-xxv710.html

[here (TCP)]
points to url: https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/report/vpp_performance_tests/http_server_performance/index.html
should point to: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/http_server_performance/index.html

Currently master report content is the same as rls1908, but it will diverge in the upcoming weeks tracking VPP master and CSIT master branches.

P.S. What does “AVG” stand for? :)

Re: Corrections to FD.io 19.08 PR content/links

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

There is many more. I’m just compiling an email :)
Give me few more minutes.
-M.

On 19 Sep 2019, at 14:37, Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via Lists.Fd.Io <vrpolak=cisco.com@...> wrote:

Typo:
tThe -> The

Mismatching parenthesis:
(BBR) -> (BBR))

Vratko.

[...]

Trishan de Lanerolle

[...]

REMINDER: Separate Reg for CNTT/ONAP/ODL Meetings & ONS Day/Hall Passes

Brandon Wick <bwick@...>

LFN Community,

We wanted to remind you that just after ONS, Sept 25-27, also in Antwerp, are 3 concurrent LFN Technical Meetings: 1.) The Common NFVi Telco Task Force (CNTT), 2.) The ONAP Bi-annual Joint Subcommittee meeting, and 3.) The OpenDaylight DDF. The event is open to all at no cost, but requires additional registration. Learn more and register here today.

And for those that have not registered yet for ONS Europe, Sept 23-25 in Antwerp, we wanted to remind you that Day Passes and Hall Passes are available for $600 and $275 respectively. The Linux Foundation member discount can be applied for additional savings. Learn more and register here today

Please direct any questions to: events@... and we hope to see you in Belgium!

Re: FD.io Jenkins Restart

Vanessa Valderrama

Jenkins has been restarted and jobs have been restored.

We're going to terminate the two CSIT jobs. I spoke with Dave Wallace
and we felt it'd be better to terminate the jobs and restart Jenkins.

Jenkins is still in shutdown mode. We'll do the restart when these jobs
are complete.

https://jenkins.fd.io/job/csit-vpp-perf-verify-1908-2n-skx/124/
https://jenkins.fd.io/job/csit-vpp-perf-verify-1908-2n-skx/125/

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation for a restart.

We were seeing Gateway Time-out errors on ci-management-jjb-merge jobs
which has caused problems with the job configurations. I have tried to
push the jobs manually but I'm getting the same errors.

We are going to restart Jenkins and try to do another manual push of the
job configs.

Re: FD.io Jenkins Restart

Vanessa Valderrama

[...]

FD.io Jenkins Restart

Vanessa Valderrama

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation for a restart.

We were seeing Gateway Time-out errors on ci-management-jjb-merge jobs
which has caused problems with the job configurations. I have tried to
push the jobs manually but I'm getting the same errors.

We are going to restart Jenkins and try to do another manual push of the
job configs.

FD.io: Switchover to new website

Edward Warnicke

We now have the mechanical ability to switch to the new Github+Hugo+Netlify community managed website.  This involves a tiny bit of DNS+cert magic that we can now do for ourselves.

So it falls to us as a community to decide when to pull the trigger and switch over.

I think we may be ready as soon as Monday Sept 16 to pull that trigger, but wanted to make sure to check in with the broader community first.  This will be a topic of discussion at this weeks TSC meeting.

Please feel free to speak up with any thoughts.

Ed

Re: FD.io Nexus Outage

Vanessa Valderrama

Nexus is back up. We disabled the plugin that caused the outage.

We also had to restart Jenkins which is back up now.

Nexus is currently down. To prevent necessary job failures we've placed
Jenkins into shutdown mode while we resolve this issue.

581 - 600 of 1708