Date

Re: Corrections to FD.io 19.08 PR content/links

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

Hello,

And few more typos that Jerome and me picked up:

1. "an open source project within tThe Linux Foundation’s LF Networking (LFN)”
  - Typo: replace “tThe” with ”The.”

2. "focused on becoming the world’s packet processing data plane”
  - Syntax: replace ”world’s”with ”world’s fastest”.

3. "today announced the availability of software release 19.08”
  - Syntax: replace “19.08" with "v19.08”. Same applies to all other instances of “19.08” and “19.01”.

4. "forwarding match all rule"
  - Typo: "match-all"

5. "including the integration of Intel® Multi-buffer Crypto for IPSec library”
  - Missing info: "including the integration of Intel® Multi-buffer Crypto for IPSec library and native VPP crypto_ia32 library"

7. "providing significant performance improvement
  - Typo: "providing significant performance improvements"

9. "IETF compliant segment routing
  - Typos and missing info: "IETF compliant Segment Routing (SRv6 and MPLS SR)"

10. "VPP’s Host Stack provides a platform-independent subgraph for processing Layer 2 and 3 networking traffic. Release 19.08 adds the following to the network stack – speeding rule processing, cryptography, and overall network interface robustness:
  - Semantics: this looks like a copy&paste error of previous paragraph header that has been edited and resulted in misleading text. VPP Host Stack does not deal with Layer 2 network traffic. All red text SHOULD be deleted.

12. "High-performance Layer 4 support for UCP, TCP, TLS and QUIC"
  - Typo: replace ”UCP” with ”UDP”.

13. "and delivery rate estimation (the later which is useful to future planned congestion control algorithms like Bottleneck Bandwidth and Round-trip propagation time (BBR)
  - Typos: "and delivery rate estimation (the latter is useful for planned congestion control algorithms like Bottleneck Bandwidth and Round-trip propagation time (BBR))"

14. "Many of the above features contribute directly to ongoing FD.io VPP performance gains. Detailed performance test results associated with Release 19.08 can be viewed here (AVG) and here (TCP).”
  - Missing info: "Many of the above features contribute directly to ongoing FD.io VPP performance gains. Detailed performance test results associated with Release v19.08 can be viewed in FD.io CSIT-1908 report [Throughput] and [TCP/IP] graphs and data."

15. "Worker thread level stat
  - Syntax: "Worker thread level statistics"

Number of other punctuation inconsistencies and errors, as well as number of nested parentheses uses that could be improved too (see nesting brackets [0]), but that’s minor :)
Hope you find above suggestions useful.

On 19 Sep 2019, at 12:27, Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) <mkonstan@...> wrote:

Hi,

Looks good!

But the links to CSIT performance report are incorrect - in this sentence:

"Detailed performance test results associated with Release 19.08 can be viewed here (AVG) and here (TCP)."

[here (AVG)]
points to url: https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2-2n-skx-xxv710.html
should point to: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2-2n-skx-xxv710.html

[here (TCP)]
points to url: https://docs.fd.io/csit/master/report/vpp_performance_tests/http_server_performance/index.html
should point to: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/http_server_performance/index.html

Currently master report content is the same as rls1908, but it will diverge in the upcoming weeks tracking VPP master and CSIT master branches.

P.S. What does “AVG” stand for? :)

Re: Corrections to FD.io 19.08 PR content/links

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

There is many more. I’m just compiling an email :)
Give me few more minutes.
-M.

On 19 Sep 2019, at 14:37, Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via Lists.Fd.Io <vrpolak=cisco.com@...> wrote:

Typo:
tThe -> The

Mismatching parenthesis:
(BBR) -> (BBR))

Vratko.

[...]

Trishan de Lanerolle

[...]

REMINDER: Separate Reg for CNTT/ONAP/ODL Meetings & ONS Day/Hall Passes

Brandon Wick <bwick@...>

LFN Community,

We wanted to remind you that just after ONS, Sept 25-27, also in Antwerp, are 3 concurrent LFN Technical Meetings: 1.) The Common NFVi Telco Task Force (CNTT), 2.) The ONAP Bi-annual Joint Subcommittee meeting, and 3.) The OpenDaylight DDF. The event is open to all at no cost, but requires additional registration. Learn more and register here today.

And for those that have not registered yet for ONS Europe, Sept 23-25 in Antwerp, we wanted to remind you that Day Passes and Hall Passes are available for $600 and $275 respectively. The Linux Foundation member discount can be applied for additional savings. Learn more and register here today

Please direct any questions to: events@... and we hope to see you in Belgium!

Re: FD.io Jenkins Restart

Vanessa Valderrama

Jenkins has been restarted and jobs have been restored.

We're going to terminate the two CSIT jobs. I spoke with Dave Wallace
and we felt it'd be better to terminate the jobs and restart Jenkins.

Jenkins is still in shutdown mode. We'll do the restart when these jobs
are complete.

https://jenkins.fd.io/job/csit-vpp-perf-verify-1908-2n-skx/124/
https://jenkins.fd.io/job/csit-vpp-perf-verify-1908-2n-skx/125/

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation for a restart.

We were seeing Gateway Time-out errors on ci-management-jjb-merge jobs
which has caused problems with the job configurations. I have tried to
push the jobs manually but I'm getting the same errors.

We are going to restart Jenkins and try to do another manual push of the
job configs.

Re: FD.io Jenkins Restart

Vanessa Valderrama

[...]

FD.io Jenkins Restart

Vanessa Valderrama

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation for a restart.

We were seeing Gateway Time-out errors on ci-management-jjb-merge jobs
which has caused problems with the job configurations. I have tried to
push the jobs manually but I'm getting the same errors.

We are going to restart Jenkins and try to do another manual push of the
job configs.

FD.io: Switchover to new website

Edward Warnicke

We now have the mechanical ability to switch to the new Github+Hugo+Netlify community managed website.  This involves a tiny bit of DNS+cert magic that we can now do for ourselves.

So it falls to us as a community to decide when to pull the trigger and switch over.

I think we may be ready as soon as Monday Sept 16 to pull that trigger, but wanted to make sure to check in with the broader community first.  This will be a topic of discussion at this weeks TSC meeting.

Please feel free to speak up with any thoughts.

Ed

Re: FD.io Nexus Outage

Vanessa Valderrama

Nexus is back up. We disabled the plugin that caused the outage.

We also had to restart Jenkins which is back up now.

Nexus is currently down. To prevent necessary job failures we've placed
Jenkins into shutdown mode while we resolve this issue.

FD.io Nexus Outage

Vanessa Valderrama

Nexus is currently down. To prevent necessary job failures we've placed
Jenkins into shutdown mode while we resolve this issue.

REMINDER: ONS EU Standard Pricing Expires Sept 9th. Register Today!

Brandon Wick <bwick@...>

LFN Community,

We hope that you are planning to join us at ONS Europe, Sept 23-25 in AntwerpOpen Networking Summit is the industry’s premier open networking event, enabling collaborative development and innovation across enterprises, service providers and cloud providers and discussing the future of Open Source Networking, including SDN, NFV, VNF, CNF/Cloud Native Networking, Orchestration, Automation of Cloud, Core Network, Edge, Access & IoT services.

If you haven't already registered, we strongly encourage you to do so before standard pricing expires on September 9th (to save $600 USD)!

Linux Foundation members receive an additional discount at registration, please email events@... to retrieve it.

We also wanted to let you know that just after ONS, Sept 25-27, also in Antwerp, is meeting of the Common NFVi Telco Task Force (CNTT). This group is working to define a common NFV infrastructure to simplify the development and deployment of virtualized networking applications for the telecom industry. The event is open to all at no cost, but requires additional registration. Learn more and register here.

Please direct any questions to: events@... and we hope to see you in Belgium!

FD.io - LFN Budget Spreadsheet - final review

Edward Warnicke

The LFN budget spreadsheet is due Monday Sept 9.  Please find attached my latest version based on input from TSC and marketing committee.  Please speak up if you have any input - I'd like to make sure we capture everything.

Ed

Published: FD.io CSIT-1908 Release Report

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

Hi All,

FD.io CSIT-1908 report has been published on FD.io docs site:

html: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/
pdf: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/_static/archive/csit_rls1908.pdf

Many thanks to All in CSIT, VPP and wider FD.io community who
contributed and worked hard to make CSIT-1908 happen!

Below two summaries:
- CSIT-1908 Release Summary, a high-level summary.
- Points of Note in CSIT-1908 Report, with specific links to report.

Welcome all comments, best by email to csit-dev@....

CSIT-1908 Release Summary
1. CSIT-1908 Report

- html link: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/
- pdf link: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/_static/archive/csit_rls1908.pdf

2. New Tests

- VM/VNF service chains with DPDK Testpmd and VPP L2/IPv4 workloads
and external VXLAN encapsulation.
- IPsec with new VPP native cipher algorithms, baseline and large
scale (up to 60k tunnels).
- VM/VNF service chains with VPP IPsec workloads, baseline and
horizontal scaling (experimental, in-testing).
- GBP (Group Based Policy) with external dot1q encapsulation.
- Extended test coverage with VPP native AVF driver: IPv4 scale tests.
- Refreshed VPP TCP/HTTP tests.
- Number of VPP functional device tests running in container based
environment.
- Good VPP PAPI (Python API) test coverage, PAPI used for all VPP
tests.

3. Benchmarking

- Added new processor micro-architectures: ARM/AArch64 (TaiShan) and
Atom (Denverton).

- New testbeds onboarded into FD.io CSIT CI/CD functional and
performance test pipelines.
- Daily trending with throughput changes monitoring, analytics and
anomaly auto-detection.
- Release reports with benchmarking data including throughput,
latency, test repeatibility.

- Updated CSIT benchmarking report specification

- Consistent selection of tests across all testbeds and processor
microarchitectures present in FD.io labs (Xeon, Atom, ARM) for
iterative benchmarking tests to verify results repeatibility. Data
presented in graphs conveying NDR (non-drop rate, zero packet
loss) and PDR (partial drop rate) throughput statistics.
Multi-core speedup and latency are also presented.
- Consistent comparison of NDR and PDR throughput results across the
releases.
- Updated graph naming and test grouping to improve browsability and
access to test data.

- Increased test coverage in 2-node testbed environment (2n-skx).

- Updated soak testing methodology and new results, aligned with
latest IETF draft specification draft-vpolak-bmwg-plrsearch-02.

4. Infrastructure

- API
- PAPI (Python API) used for all VPP tests, migrated away from VAT
(VPP API Test).
- VPP API change detection and gating in VPP and CSIT CI/CD.

- Test Environments
- VPP functional device tests: migrated away from VIRL (VM based) to
container environment (with Nomad).
- Added new physical testbeds: ARM/AArch64 (TaiShan) and Atom
(Denverton).

- CSIT Framework
- Conifguration keyword alignment across 2-node and 3-node testbeds to
ease test portability across environments.

- Installer
- Updated bare-metal CSIT performance testbed installer (ansible).

Points of Note in CSIT-1908 Report
Indexed specific links listed at the bottom.

1. VPP release notes
a. Changes in CSIT-1908: [1]
b. Known issues: [2]

2. VPP performance - 64B/IMIX throughput graphs (selected NIC models):
a. Graphs explained: [3]
b. L2 Ethernet Switching: [4]
c. IPv4 Routing: [5]
d. IPv6 Routing: [6]
e. SRv6 Routing: [7]
f. IPv4 Tunnels: [8]
g. KVM VMs vhost-user: [9]
h. LXC/DRC Container Memif: [10]
e. IPsec IPv4 Routing: [11]
f. Virtual Topology System: [12]

3. VPP performance - multi-core and latency graphs:
a. Speedup Multi-Core: [13]
b. Latency: [14]

4. VPP system performance - NFV service density and TCP/IP:
a. VNF (VM) Service Chains: [15]
b. CNF (Container) Service Chains: [16]
c. CNF (Container) Service Pipelines: [17]
d. HTTP and TCP/IP: [18]

4. VPP performance comparisons
a. VPP-19.08 vs. VPP-19.04: [19]

5. VPP performance test details - all NICs:
a. Detailed results 64B IMIX 1518B 9kB: [20]
b. Configuration: [21]

DPDK Testpmd and L3fwd performance sections follow similar structure.

6. DPDK applications:
a. Release notes: [22]
b. DPDK performance - 64B throughput graphs: [23]
c. DPDK performance - latency graphs: [24]
d. DPDK performance - DPDK-1905 vs. DPDK-19.01: [25]

Functional tests, including VPP_Device (functional device tests),
VPP_VIRL and HoneyComb are all included in the report.

Specific links within the report:

[1] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html#changes-in-csit-release
[2] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html#known-issues
[3] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[4] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2.html
[5] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip4.html
[6] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip6.html
[7] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/srv6.html
[8] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip4_tunnels.html
[9] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vm_vhost.html
[10] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/container_memif.html
[11] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ipsec.html
[12] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vts.html
[13] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/throughput_speedup_multi_core/index.html
[14] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_latency_graphs/index.html
[15] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/nf_service_density/vnf_service_chains.html
[16] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/nf_service_density/cnf_service_chains.html
[17] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/nf_service_density/cnf_service_pipelines.html
[18] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/http_server_performance/index.html
[19] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/vpp_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html
[20] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/detailed_test_results/vpp_performance_results/index.html
[21] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/test_configuration/vpp_performance_configuration/index.html
[22] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html
[23] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[24] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_latency_graphs/index.html
[25] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls1908/report/dpdk_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html

Re: Analytics for LFN webservers

Edward Warnicke

Once we transition to Github+Hugo+Netlify for the fd.io page, we can enable Google Analytics and give access to the web reps from the projects.

Ed

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 10:39 AM Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) via Lists.Fd.Io <vrpolak=cisco.com@...> wrote:

Some LFN projects have web-pages aimed at wider audience.

Examples are the new fd.io page and CSIT report page.

It would be nice to have an analytics service enabled

for such pages, in order to see data for sub-pages

(so we can improve the content layout,

and satisfy our curiosity in general).

Can LFN provide such a service (ideally open source,

with analytic results visible to public) globally,

or at least per webserver?

Not sure how much money/time/people would that take

to set up and maintain, but I imagine the more projects want that,

the cheaper it is per project.

Therefore the proper way is to discuss on TCS level and above.

Ed, can we add an item for the discussion

to the next TSC meeting agenda?

Vratko and Maciek.

Analytics for LFN webservers

Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)

Some LFN projects have web-pages aimed at wider audience.

Examples are the new fd.io page and CSIT report page.

It would be nice to have an analytics service enabled

for such pages, in order to see data for sub-pages

(so we can improve the content layout,

and satisfy our curiosity in general).

Can LFN provide such a service (ideally open source,

with analytic results visible to public) globally,

or at least per webserver?

Not sure how much money/time/people would that take

to set up and maintain, but I imagine the more projects want that,

the cheaper it is per project.

Therefore the proper way is to discuss on TCS level and above.

Ed, can we add an item for the discussion

to the next TSC meeting agenda?

Vratko and Maciek.

UDPI project has been approved to an incubation project by FD.io TSC

Ni, Hongjun

Hi folks,

UDPI project has been approved to be an incubation project by FD.io TSC.

Thanks all TSC members for voting!

http://ircbot.wl.linuxfoundation.org/meetings/fdio-meeting/2019/fdio-meeting.2019-08-29-14.57.log.txt

Thanks Vanessa for creating the infrastructure for UDPI project in a short time.

•          The committer group has been created and committers have been invited

•          JIRA: https://jira.fd.io/projects/UDPI/summary

•          Jenkins: https://jenkins.fd.io/view/udpi/

•          Gerrit: https://gerrit.fd.io/r/admin/repos/udpi

•          GitHub: https://github.com/FDio/udpi

•          Groups.io: https://lists.fd.io/g/udpi-dev

•          Jenkins and Nexus credentials and repos configured

We also have created a wiki page for UDPI project:

https://wiki.fd.io/view/UDPI

If you show interest in this project or plan to contribute to it,

You are invited to join the mail list:

https://lists.fd.io/g/udpi-dev

Thanks,

Hongjun