Date

Re: Voting on the Scapy licensing resolutions

Luca Muscariello

Hi Ray,

Can I ask a clarification question?
Only the copyright holder can modify a distribution license whereas it looks like the TSC is going to act
as a copyright holder's proxy. Is this correct?

Thanks
Best
Luca

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 1:51 PM Ray Kinsella <ray.kinsella@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

So we need to take a vote on the proposed Scapy licensing resolutions at today TSC.

That is we …

1. We approve of the mitigations listed in last Thursday’s presentation.

  1. Explicit licensing of affected code as GPLv2 (CSIT, VPP & TRex)
  2. Moving affected code to a GPL labelled directory (CSIT).
  3. Preservation of project apache licensing through process separation (CSIT, VPP & TRex).

2. We approve these exceptions to the FD.io Project Apache2 Licensing for CSIT, VPP & TRex.

Proposed vote text:

Based on the mitigation described. The FD.io TSC approves exceptions to the FD.io Project Apache2 licensing permitting the use of Scapy by CSIT, VPP & TRex.

Any comments on the above are welcome.

FD.io Project TSC Member

Voting on the Scapy licensing resolutions

Ray Kinsella

Hi folks,

So we need to take a vote on the proposed Scapy licensing resolutions at today TSC.

That is we …

1. We approve of the mitigations listed in last Thursday’s presentation.

  1. Explicit licensing of affected code as GPLv2 (CSIT, VPP & TRex)
  2. Moving affected code to a GPL labelled directory (CSIT).
  3. Preservation of project apache licensing through process separation (CSIT, VPP & TRex).

2. We approve these exceptions to the FD.io Project Apache2 Licensing for CSIT, VPP & TRex.

Proposed vote text:

Based on the mitigation described. The FD.io TSC approves exceptions to the FD.io Project Apache2 licensing permitting the use of Scapy by CSIT, VPP & TRex.

Any comments on the above are welcome.

FD.io Project TSC Member

Proxies for Thu Mar 5 FD.io TSC

Edward Warnicke

Ole Troan will be my proxy to the FD.io TSC on this Thu Mar 5.
Ray Kinsella has graciously agreed to chair the meeting.

Ed

APPROVED: add Matt Smith as a vpp committer, subject to TSC approval this Thursday

Dave Barach

With 100% of the votes counted: 11 votes +1, no other votes.

Dave

Re: Please add "approve Matt Smith as a vpp project committer" to the TSC meeting agenda

Edward Warnicke

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 9:22 AM Dave Barach via Lists.Fd.Io <dbarach=cisco.com@...> wrote:

Dear Ed,

The formal vote closes Wednesday, however a supermajority of the committers have already voted +1, with no objections in sight.

Matt has contributed O(100) merged patches, and he recently contributed the entire vrrp plugin. See https://gerrit.fd.io/r/q/owner:mgsmith%2540netgate.com for details.

Thanks... Dave

Please add "approve Matt Smith as a vpp project committer" to the TSC meeting agenda

Dave Barach

Dear Ed,

The formal vote closes Wednesday, however a supermajority of the committers have already voted +1, with no objections in sight.

Matt has contributed O(100) merged patches, and he recently contributed the entire vrrp plugin. See https://gerrit.fd.io/r/q/owner:mgsmith%2540netgate.com for details.

Thanks... Dave

Re: New committer hicn/cicn projects

Edward Warnicke

I've added it to the agenda :)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 4:11 AM Luca Muscariello <muscariello@...> wrote:
Dear TSC members,

I wanted to fix my previous request for Angelo Mantellini to become a committer for hicn AND cicn project.
Since the committers in the hicn projects are also committers in the cicn project (but not viceversa)
I thought it was redundant to ask people to vote twice.

To avoid misunderstanding, I asked people to vote in the cicn list only.

The result of the poll is 100% to accept Angelo as committer in the CICN project.

With the PLT's hat on, I would ask the TSC members to accept
this proposal.

I take the opportunity to ask for an update of the status of Jim Gibson who's not active as committer since
two years in CICN.

Thank you
Best
Luca

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM Luca Muscariello <muscariello@...> wrote:
Dear TSC members,

The team of committers has voted to elevate Angelo Mantellini
to project committers in hicn/cicn projects.

Polls are available here

Angelo has done a lot of work to support hicn portability across
all client OSes such as macOS, Windows 10, iOS, Android, Ubuntu.
He also takes care of all software release and distribution
for all these platforms.

More on Angelo's contributions

[...]

Published: FD.io CSIT-2001 Release Report - CSIT-2001.09 update

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

Update: CSIT-2001.09 maintenance report has been published:

    https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/

Changes from last week version include:

    Added VPP performance test data into Detailed Results per testbed types:
      - 2n-clx (Xeon Cascadelake): IPv4, IPv6, L2.
      - 2n-dnv (Atom Denverton): IPsec, IPv4 tunnels.
      - 3n-hsw (Xeon Haswell): IPv4, L2, vhost.

    Added VPP performance tests selected for analysis and graphs per testbed types:
      - 2n-clx (Xeon Cascadelake): all tests.
      - 3n-tsh (Arm Cortex-A72 Taishan): all tests.

    Added DPDK performance tests selected for analysis and graphs per testbed types:
      - 2n-clx (Xeon Cascadelake): all tests.

2n-skx and 3n-skx testbeds (Xeon Skylake) are still out of service due to the processor microcode issue.
For status see:

Welcome all comments, best by email to csit-dev@....

On 14 Feb 2020, at 14:02, Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan) <mkonstan@...> wrote:

Hi All,

FD.io CSIT-2001 report has been published on FD.io docs site:

   https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/

Many thanks to All in CSIT, VPP and wider FD.io community who
contributed and worked hard to make CSIT-2001 happen!

Below three summaries:
- Intel Xeon 2n-skx, 3n-skx and 2n-clx Testbeds microcode issue.
- CSIT-2001 Release Summary, a high-level summary.
- Points of Note in CSIT-2001 Report, with specific links to report.

Welcome all comments, best by email to csit-dev@....

NOTE: Intel Xeon 2n-skx, 3n-skx and 2n-clx Testbeds microcode issue.
   VPP and DPDK performance test data is not included in this report
   version. This is due to the lower performance and behaviour
   inconsistency of these systems following the upgrade of processor
   microcode packages (skx ucode 0x2000064, clx ucode 0x500002c), done
   as part of updating Ubuntu 18.04 LTS kernel version. Tested VPP and
   DPDK applications (L3fwd) are affected. Skx and Clx test data will
   be added in subsequent maintenance report version(s) once the issue
   is resolved. See https://jira.fd.io/browse/CSIT-1675.

CSIT-2001 Release Summary
1. CSIT-2001 Report

  - html link: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/
  - pdf link: https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/_static/archive/csit_rls2001.pdf

2. New Tests

  - NFV density tests with IPsec encryption between DUTs.

  - Full test coverage for VPP AVF driver for Fortville NICs.

  - VPP Hoststack TCP/IP tests with wrk, iperf3 with LDPreload tests
    without and with packet loss via VPP NSIM plugin), and QUIC/UDP/IP
    transport tests.

  - Mellanox ConnectX5-2p100GE NICs in 2n-clx testbeds using VPP native
    rdma driver.

  - Load Balancer tests.

3. Benchmarking

  - Fully onboarded new Intel Xeon Cascadelake Testbeds with x710,
    xxv710 and mcx556a-edat NIC cards.

  - Added new High Dynamic Range Histogram latency measurements.

4. Infrastructure

  - Full migration of CSIT from Python2.7 to Python3.6.

Points of Note in the CSIT-2001 Report
Indexed specific links listed at the bottom.

1. VPP release notes
  a. Changes in CSIT-2001:     [1]
  b. Known issues:             [2]

2. VPP performance - 64B/IMIX throughput graphs (selected NIC models):
  a. Graphs explained:         [3]
  b. L2 Ethernet Switching:    [4]
  c. IPv4 Routing:             [5]
  d. IPv6 Routing:             [6]
  e. SRv6 Routing:             [7]
  f. IPv4 Tunnels:             [8]
  g. KVM VMs vhost-user:       [9]
  h. LXC/DRC Container Memif: [10]
  e. IPsec IPv4 Routing:      [11]
  f. Virtual Topology System: [12]

3. VPP performance - multi-core and latency graphs:
  a. Speedup Multi-Core:      [13]
  b. Latency:                 [14]

4. VPP performance comparisons
  a. VPP-20.01 vs. VPP-19.08:              [15]

5. VPP performance test details - all NICs:
  a. Detailed results 64B IMIX 1518B 9kB:  [16]
  b. Configuration:                        [17]

DPDK Testpmd and L3fwd performance sections follow similar structure.

6. DPDK applications:
 a. Release notes:                               [18]
 b. DPDK performance - 64B throughput graphs:    [19]
 c. DPDK performance - latency graphs:           [20]
 d. DPDK performance - DPDK-19.08 vs. DPDK-19.05: [21]

Functional tests, including VPP_Device (functional device tests),
VPP_VIRL and HoneyComb are all included in the report.

Specific links within the report:

[1] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html#changes-in-csit-release
[2] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html#known-issues
[3] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[4] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/l2.html
[5] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip4.html
[6] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip6.html
[7] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/srv6.html
[8] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ip4_tunnels.html
[9] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vm_vhost.html
[10] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/container_memif.html
[11] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/ipsec.html
[12] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/vts.html
[13] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/throughput_speedup_multi_core/index.html
[14] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_latency/index.html
[15] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/vpp_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html
[16] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/detailed_test_results/vpp_performance_results/index.html
[17] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/test_configuration/vpp_performance_configuration/index.html
[18] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/dpdk_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html
[19] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[20] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_latency/index.html
[21] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2001/report/dpdk_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html

LFN mentorship proposals due tomorrow Feb 28th.

Trishan de Lanerolle

We’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2020 LF Networking Mentorship Program. This is the first year we're bringing all community intern/mentor projects, under an integrated program schedule. This is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe, to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

  I am interested in mentoring but how do I get started?

Why should you consider mentoring for LF Networking Mentorship Program?
  • You believe in the value of mentorship in helping new developers to navigate open source development, the culture, the tooling and infrastructure to be a productive member of the community.
  • You are passionate about teaching and guiding student developers, many of whom may be first time open-source contributors,
  • You are eager to bring in new perspectives, new ideas, and new talent into your community and projects.
  • You have a narrowly scoped mentorship project with clear learning objectives/outcomes and a mentee's work and potential contributions could add value to the project or community of which you're an active developer or maintainer.

What are the elements the LFN Mentorship Program will implement to maximize mentor/mentee collaboration success?
  • Mentor and mentee onboarding will be conducted at the start of the Program
  • Mentor and mentee guide will be available as part of the Linux Foundation CommunityBridge Mentorship initiative
  • Project planning that includes deliverables, milestones, and tasks will be completed collaboratively between the mentors and mentees during the first two weeks of the program and posted on the wiki to increase transparency and accountability.
  • Mentee presentations will be required to sharpen both presentation skills and to cultivate the ability to provide constructive feedback and critique that’s the norm in the open source community for developing technologies collaboratively and openly.
  • Mentee evaluation will be conducted on a regular cadence tied to milestone deliverable schedules to help mentors and LFN staff formalize and respond to progress.
While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD but will be during Q3 or Q4 of this year or Q1 of the following year).

If you have any questions, please contact mentorship@...

We look forward to your submission of a mentorship project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the LF Networking communities.

--
Trishan R. de Lanerolle
Technical Program Manager & Community Architect

Re: GPL/Scapy issue

Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>

I’m happy to do so :)

Ed

On Feb 27, 2020, at 5:21 AM, Kinsella, Ray <ray.kinsella@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

Would it be possible to cover the GPL/Scapy up front on today’s call?
It has been pushed a number of times recently, and unfortunately today I need to drop early.

Would be good to close the issue, right?

Ray K

Re: [vpp-dev] RFC: FD.io Summit (Userspace), September, Bordeaux France

Honnappa Nagarahalli <Honnappa.Nagarahalli@...>

<snip>

Hi folks,

A 2020 FD.io event is something that has been discussed a number of times
recently at the FD.io TSC.
With the possibility of co-locating such an event with DPDK Userspace, in
Bordeaux, in September.

Clearly, we are incredibly eager to make sure that such an event would be a
success.
That FD.io users and contributors would attend, and get value out of the
event.
(it is a ton of work for those involved - we want people to benefit)

The likelihood is that this would be the only FD.io event of this kind in 2020.

So instead of speculating, it is better to ask a direct question to the
community and ask for honest feedback.
How does the community feel about such an event at DPDK Userspace:-

* Do they value co-locating with DPDK Userspace?
* Are they likely to attend?
IMO, this is valuable and would definitely be helpful to solve problems across the aisle
I would attend.

FD.io TSC

Proxy for today's TSC meeting: Florin Coras

Dave Barach

Folks,

I have an unavoidable conflict for today’s TSC meeting. Florin Coras has my proxy in case there’s a vote.

Thanks... Dave

GPL/Scapy issue

Ray Kinsella

Hi folks,

Would it be possible to cover the GPL/Scapy up front on today’s call?

It has been pushed a number of times recently, and unfortunately today I need to drop early.

Would be good to close the issue, right?

Ray K

Re: UDPI 20.01 Released

Ni, Hongjun

Hi Trishan,

Here are some paragraphs about UDPI and possible use cases, and architecture diagram.

Please help to review it. Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.

The UDPI (Universal Deep Packet Inspection) project is a reference framework to build a high performance solution for Deep Packet Inspection, integrated with the general purpose FD.io VPP stack. It leverages industry regex matching library to provide a rich set of features, which can be used in IPS/IDS, Web Firewall and similar applications. It also can be integrated into 5G, Edge, and Cloud Networking for application based services. The initial code contributions are from Intel and Travelping. Please refer to https://wiki.fd.io/view/UDPI

So far, there are 17 organizations joined and 20 committers, including Intel, ZTE, China Telecom, HuachenTel, Inspur, Yxlink, Sunyainfo, Tencent, China Unicom, Huawei, QingCloud, Netgate, Alibaba, 360, Trend Micro, Nokia, HAOHAN Data.

The architecture diagram:

Thanks,

Hongjun