Date

Published: FD.io CSIT-2009 Release Report

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)

Hi All,

FD.io CSIT-2009 report is available on FD.io docs site:

https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/

Great thanks to all contributors in CSIT and VPP communities!

Below summary and pointers to specific sections in the report.
Welcome all comments, best by email to csit-dev@....

CSIT-2009 Release Summary
-------------------------

NEW TESTS

- A new category of tests using TRex ASTF stateful APIs and traffic
profiles with up to 16M UDP and TCP/IP sessions. Initial stateful
tests include VPP NAT44 Endpoint Dependent (NAT44ed)
connections-per-second and packets-per-second throughput (with
controlled packet size). (Note: report test runs are still to be
executed in their fullness, expect them to appear in maintenance
report versions next week and week after next. Maintenance reports are
published on a weekly basis if there are changes.)

- Refactored existing NAT44 Deterministic (NAT44det) throughput tests
and added higher session scale, up to 16M UDP sessions. Continue to
use TRex STL stateless APIs and traffic profiles.

- Added NAT44ed uni-directional UDP throughput tests using TRex STL
stateless APIs and traffic profiles, as a way to verify stateful tests
performance.

- IPsec async mode VPP performance tests, with HW crypto only for now,
meaning Xeon Haswell testbeds only.

- Full suite of tests now running on Mellanox ConnectX5-2p100GE NICs in
2n-clx (Intel Xeon Cascadelake) testbeds using VPP native rdma driver.
For the first time one case see linear multi-core speedup into 72 Mpps
region (L2 on 2 cores, IPv4 on 4 cores), in some cases NIC is the
limit again (like it was to date in CSIT labs with FVL 2p25GE NICs).

BENCHMARKING

- AMD 2n-zn2 testbed onboarded with EPYC 7532 32-Core Processor. Full
set of CSIT-2009 results to be included in one of the upcoming
maintenance reports, following completion of calibrating dry runs that
are currently ongoing.

- Optimization and calibration of TRex STL and ASTF multi-core
configurations, a small impact on test results as captured in current
vs. previous release performance comparisons.

Pointers to CSIT-2009 Report sections
-------------------------------------

1. FD.io CSIT test methodology [1]
2. VPP release notes [2]
3. VPP 64B/IMIX throughput graphs [3]
4. VPP throughput speedup multi-core [4]
5. VPP latency under load [5]
6. VPP comparisons v20.09 vs. v20.05 [6]
7. VPP performance all pkt sizes & NICs [7]
8. DPDK 20.08 apps release notes [8]
9. DPDK 64B throughput graphs [9]
10. DPDK latency under load [10]
11. DPDK comparisons 20.08 vs. 20.02 [11]

Functional device tests (VPP_Device) are also included in the report.

[1] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/introduction/methodology.html
[2] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/vpp_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html
[3] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[4] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/vpp_performance_tests/throughput_speedup_multi_core/index.html
[5] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/vpp_performance_tests/packet_latency/index.html
[6] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/vpp_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html
[7] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/detailed_test_results/vpp_performance_results/index.html
[8] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/dpdk_performance_tests/csit_release_notes.html
[9] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_throughput_graphs/index.html
[10] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/dpdk_performance_tests/packet_latency/index.html
[11] https://docs.fd.io/csit/rls2009/report/dpdk_performance_tests/comparisons/current_vs_previous_release.html

Re: FD.io Jenkins Maintenance: 2020-10-19 1700 UTC to 2200 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama

Maintenance has been completed successfully. All service are available.

As part of maintenance we downgraded the Gerrit Trigger plugin in Jenkins to avoid a re-occurrence of the incident we had today. It appears there is a defect in the latest version of the plugin that causes Gerrit triggers to stop triggering builds in Jenkins causing the queue to grow out of control and affect the stability of the Jenkins system. The root cause is unknown at this time. The workaround is to restart Jenkins.

If you experience any issues, please open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org.

Thank you,
Anton & Vanessa

Due to the unexpected Jenkins outage, we are going to perform this maintenance now. This maintenance has been approved by the VPP and CSIT teams.

  • Ingress
    • Increase the size of the instance
    • OS and security updates
  • Jenkins
    • OS and security updates
    • Upgrade to 2.249.1
    • Plugin updates
  • Nexus
    • OS updates
    • Upgrade to 2.14.19-01
  • Jira
    • OS updates
    • Upgrade to 8.12.2
  • Gerrit
    • OS updates
When:  2020-10-19 1700 UTC to 2200 UTC

Impact:

All systems will be unavailable during the maintenance window. Jenkins will be placed in shutdown mode at 1600 UTC. We will abort all jobs at 1700 UTC.

[...]

FD.io Jenkins Unavailable

Vanessa Valderrama

We are currently experiencing issues with Jenkins production. We are
investigating this issue and working on resolving it as quickly as possible.

Re: ENEA and HCL contributions to CSIT

Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)

De : <tsc@...> au nom de Dave Barach <vpp@...>
Date : mardi 29 septembre 2020 à 19:39
À : "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Objet : [tsc] New VPP project PTL

Folks,

The vpp project committers have unanimously elected Damjan Marion as the new vpp project tech lead.

Recorded vote here: https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/message/17521

I expect to continue as a project committer, but it’s time for someone else to take the lead.

Thanks... Dave

New VPP project PTL

Dave Barach

Folks,

The vpp project committers have unanimously elected Damjan Marion as the new vpp project tech lead.

Recorded vote here: https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/message/17521

I expect to continue as a project committer, but it’s time for someone else to take the lead.

Thanks... Dave

FINAL REMINDER: Register for ONES (Sep 28-30)

Brandon Wick

LFN Technical Community:

Open Networking and Ege Summit (ONES) is the flagship event for LF Networking and LF Edge -- all members and community participants are strongly encouraged to attend. This year, ONES is taking place virtually Sep 28-30 and registration is only $50Linux Foundation, LFN, and LF Edge Members are eligible to receive a 20% discount. Please email events@... to request the member discount code or with any questions.

FYI, the LFN Virtual Technical Meetings are being held Oct 13-15There is no cost to attend but registration is required. View the event wiki here and register here

Re: [vpp-dev] Happy Trails to Me...

Kinsella, Ray <mdr@...>

Dave,

Good for you.

Let me take this opportunity to say Thank You!
for your wise stewardship and wry sense of humour over the past few years of the FD.io project,
for your bootstrapping of multiple development efforts, like the FD.io VPP TCP Stack with Florin and Team, static analysis, too many contributions to list.
and for your service to the FD.io Technical Steering Committee.

Clearly we'd rather you had hung around as FD.io VPP PTL indefinitely.
Happy trails, glad you are sticking around as a contributor.

On 17/09/2020 15:31, dave@... wrote:
Folks,

I’m departing the employment rolls towards the end of next month. Although I
intend to remain active in the fd.io vpp community as a coder, committer,
and resident greybeard, it’s time for the community to pick a new PTL.

According to the project governance document,
https://fd.io/docs/tsc/FD.IO-Technical-Community-Document-12-12-2017.pdf:

3.2.3.1 Project Technical Leader Candidates
Candidates for the project’s PTL will be derived from the Committers of the
Project. Candidates must self-nominate.

I'd like to invite any interested vpp project committer to self-nominate for
the PTL role. Please email vpp-dev@....

Let's close the self-nomination period in one week: more specifically, by
5pm EDT on Thursday, September 24, 2020; committer vote to follow
thereafter.

I'll be glad to answer unicast questions about the PTL role from eligible
committers.

Thanks... Dave

Re: [vpp-dev] Happy Trails to Me...

dave@...