Date

Re: FDIO Maintenance - 2021-03-31 1700 UTC to 2200 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama

Starting maintenance

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation for maintenance. Job will be terminated at 1700 UTC.

  • Jenkins (sandbox and production)
    • OS and security updates
    • Upgrade to 2.277.1
    • Plugin updates
  • Nexus
    • OS updates
    • Upgrade to 2.14.20-02
  • Jira
    • OS updates
    • Upgrade to 8.16.0
  • Gerrit
    • OS updates
When:  2021-03-31  1700 UTC to 2200  UTC

Impact:

Maintenance will require a reboot of each FD.io system. Jenkins will be placed in shutdown mode at 1600 UTC. Jobs will be terminated at 17:00 UTC.

The following systems will be unavailable during the maintenance window:
  •     Jenkins sandbox
  •     Jenkins production
  •     Nexus
  •     Jira
  •     Gerrit

[...]

GoVPP INFO.yaml

Vladimir Lavor

Hello,

I have a question regarding the rights changes in the GoVPP project.

There was a voting a few months ago where I was given committer rights. The result was sent to the TSC, link to the relevant thread: https://lists.fd.io/g/govpp-dev/topic/please_approve_vladimir_lavor/77738391?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,77738391

I was told to update the INFO.yaml in the GoVPP, however, we had no such a file in the project at the time. I‘ve received a guide https://docs.releng.linuxfoundation.org/en/latest/committer-management.html to follow and created the INFO.yaml file https://gerrit.fd.io/r/c/govpp/+/30409. But nothing changed to this day. Are we missing something?

Could you please provide me a further assistance?

Thank you

V. Lavor

LFN Webinar Tomorrow: "NFV Deployments and the Path Ahead: An Operator Perspective"

Brandon Wick

LFN Community:

This is a reminder that we'll be hosting the following LFN Webinar tomorrow, Tuesday, March 30th, 8:00 AM PT. Register here.

NFV Deployments and the Path Ahead: An Operator Perspective
Beth Cohen, Verizon; Lei Huang, China Mobile; and Randy Levensalor, CableLabs

With the drive to deploy 5G, network slicing, and the dramatic changes in network service delivery due to the global pandemic, 2020 was the year that many carriers started large NFV deployments; indicating the continuing maturation and acceptance of virtualized networking workloads, NFV architectures, and cloud infrastructures in general. As these deployments ramp up and expand, it is time to focus on tools needed for deployment in a common, shared, programmable, and automated manner. There remain significant challenges, however, to achieving this vision.

The LFN End User Advisory Group (EUAG) is publishing an NFV Testing and Automation White Paper to illustrate key insights on the state of NFV automated testing, current gaps, and industry recommendations. In this webinar, industry experts from the EUAG: Beth Cohen, Verizon; Lei Huang, China Mobile; and Randy Levensalor, CableLabs will discuss the white paper key findings and answer questions.

[...]

LFN Webinar This Week: "5G Dynamic Network Slicing via Open Source Projects"

Brandon Wick

LFN Community,

This is a reminder that we'll be hosting the following LFN Webinar on Thursday, March 25th, 8:00 AM PT. Learn more and register here

LFN Webinar: 5G Dynamic Network Slicing via Open Source Projects
Srinivasa Addepalli, Chief Principal Engineer, Intel
Tushar Doshi, Technical Director, Robin.io

5G network slicing enables a single physical infrastructure to be partitioned into multiple virtual instances, each optimized for the different needs of specific users. This opens up a new world of business opportunities for use cases like smart cities, autonomous driving, healthcare, and more. This also allows for greater operational efficiencies to network operators for only deploying the functions required to support a specific customer. Network slicing also benefits Enterprises by expanding their services geographically, creating private networks, and deploying Edge services. Though network slicing is a common topic across the industry right now, slicing implementations and discussion are often limited to eMBB, mIOT and URLLC. The next step on the slicing journey is servicing dynamic network slices.

In this talk, Srinivasa Addepalli, Chief Principal Engineer, Intel; and Tushar Doshi, Technical Director, Robin.io will discuss various use cases and deployment models for dynamic slices and explain how they enable Enterprises to deploy MEC services. They will dig further on slicing orchestration to automate dynamic slice life cycle management and discuss enhancements required in NFVO tools and platforms for managing resources to ensure that slice SLAs are satisfied. They will highlight the open source projects active in this space, like K8s, ONAP, OpenNESS/EMCO, and how they contribute to dynamic slicing orchestration and show to benefit from this innovation.

Learn more and register here

FD.io Webinar This Week "VPP in your home lab? Yep. Right now."

Brandon Wick

LFN Community,

This is a reminder that the FD.io project is hosting a webinar this coming Wednesday, March 24th, at 8:00 AM PT. Learn More & Register Here.

VPP in your home lab? Yep. Right now.
Vector Packet Processing (VPP) enables astounding software packet processing. It represents where the world is heading for many packet processing needs across edge networking, cloud native networking, and 5G infrastructure.
Many network engineers are aware of VPP, but really don’t have a fast, easy way to try it out for themselves, just to see what it’s all about. But if they could, who knows what they might do with it?

Good news. There is a way to kick the VPP tires!

One of the companies that has integrated FD.io’s VPP into a high-performance software edge router solution is Netgate. Netgate has a free version of VPP, ready to go as a product, known as TNSR. TNSR integrates a number of open source projects – VPP, DPDK, FRR, strongSwan and Clixon – into a ready to install, configure and deploy high speed router.

In this webinar we will hear directly from three independent network engineers on how they got interested in VPP, how quickly and easily they were able to install and test it for their needs, and what outcome they achieved.

VPP is for real. It is seeing rapid and broad commercial deployment. But it is still early. We at FD.io would like to see as many network engineers becoming familiar with it as possible!

Learn how you can do this in your home or work lab – right now, for free!
In this webinar, Audian Paxson from Netgate will walk through how this is done while engaging with end users of the technology: Mike Jennings. Voxtelesys; Dan Streufert, ADS-B Exchange; and Jerry Wilson, Region 5 ESC for their insights.

Call for Mentors and Projects for 2021 LF Networking Mentorship Program

Casey Cain

Today, we’re excited to open the call for mentors and project proposals for the 2021 LF Networking Mentorship Program. This is the first year we're bringing all community intern/mentor projects under the LF Networking umbrella to launch with an integrated program schedule and program operations/management. The Program is intended to provide a formal structure to connect mentors and student developers from around the globe to contribute their enthusiasm, time, and experience toward building sustainable LFN communities.

 Why should you consider mentoring for LF Networking Mentorship Program?
  • You believe in the value of mentorship in helping new developers to navigate open source development, the culture, the tooling and infrastructure to be a productive member of the community.
  • You are passionate about teaching and guiding student developers, many of whom may be first time open-source contributors,
  • You are eager to bring in new perspectives, new ideas, and new talent into your community and projects.
  • You have a narrowly scoped mentorship project with clear learning objectives/outcomes and a mentee's work and potential contributions could add value to the project or community of which you're an active developer or maintainer.
 I am interested in mentoring but how do I get started?
What are the elements the LFN Mentorship Program will implement to maximize mentor/mentee collaboration success?
  • Mentor and mentee onboarding will be conducted at the start of the Program
  • Mentor and mentee guide will be available as part of the Linux Foundation CommunityBridge Mentorship initiative
  • Project planning that includes deliverables, milestones, and tasks will be completed collaboratively between the mentors and mentees during the first two weeks of the program and posted on the wiki to increase transparency and accountability.
  • Mentee presentations will be required to sharpen both presentation skills and to cultivate the ability to provide constructive feedback and critique that’s the norm in the open source community for developing technologies collaboratively and openly.
  • Mentee evaluation will be conducted on a regular cadence tied to milestone deliverable schedules to help mentors and LFN staff formalize and respond to progress.
While mentors will be on a voluntary basis, the hired mentees will be eligible to receive a stipend. As an added bonus, each mentee who successfully completes the Program will be invited and financially sponsored by LF Networking to attend an event/conference and present their work to the broader community (specific event TBD with exemptions allowing for health and safety concerns.).

If you have any questions, please contact mentorship@...

We look forward to your submission of a mentorship project and thank you in advance for volunteering your time to contribute to the training of the new talent pool in the LF Networking communities.

Best,
Casey Cain
Technical Program Manager / Community Architect
Linux Foundation
_________________
IRC: CaseyLF
WeChat: okaru6
Voice: +1.408.641.0193

2021 LFN Governing Board Committer Representative Self-Nomination Period Open

Casey Cain

 Hello, everyone.

This is to inform you that the self-nomination period for the LFN Governing Board Committer Representative (LGBMCR) has started.
Role:
  • The role of the LFN Governing Board Member Committers Representative (LGBMCR) is to represent the committers and contributors to LFN projects at the LFN Governing board.  The expectation of the LGBMCR is to attend all LFN Governing board meetings (and any appropriate ancillary meetings), gather input from the committer community for issues raised at the board level, and to communicate to the committer community key activities from board.
  • LGBMCR is elected for the 1 year. Re-election is not possible.
Eligible candidates:
  • Candidates must be active committers to at least one LFN project.
  • Candidates can self-nominate, or be nominated by other community members. In the latter case, candidates must accept the nomination before the election is conducted.
  • Candidates must be an active committer to a LFN project which differs from the LFN project that the currently servicing LGBMCR is an active committer of.
If you are interested in becoming the technical representative to the Governing Body and you meet the eligibility requirements, please self-nominate at the link below by March 24th, 2021.
https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/x/ygAyAw

Voting will begin at the conclusion of the self-nomination period.

If you would like more information on the LGBMCR, please see https://wiki.lfnetworking.org/x/AgIiAQ or reach out to your community Technical Program Manager / Community Architect.

Best,
Casey Cain
Technical Program Manager / Community Architect
Linux Foundation
IRC: CaseyLF
WeChat: okaru6
Voice: +1.408.641.0193

Register Today: 3 Upcoming LFN Webinars

Brandon Wick

FD.io Community,

Please support the project by registering for the VPP webinar on March 24!