Date

Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at FD.io TSC Meeting

Edward Warnicke

Ole,

I don't see how this actually changes anything about the daylight savings time issues... it just moves those issues around.

If you enter your meeting in your calendar in PST (the timezone) it moves automatically - no issues

If you enter your meeting in your calendar in CEST (the timezone) it moves automatically - no issues

If you enter your meeting in your calendar as an offset from a timezone (any timezone) to your local timezone at the time you add the meeting - it doesn't move, issues.

The root issue is timezone+offset scheduling, which is made no better or worse by choice of timezone (PST, CEST, UTC).
(or if you prefer, the fact that all of our calendars take their times in Timezones, not Offsets - note: I checked this in both Google Calendar and Outlook, while they *display* todays offset along side their Timezone... they are *respecting* the Timezone, not the offset).

I can completely buy a desire to move the meeting time to an EU timezone if folks would like to... but pretending that actually solves our problems... well... it doesn't.

Ed

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 3:13 AM <otroan@...> wrote:
> It seems to me that we should define it in either CET or US Pacific and be done with it.  We have done it in US Pacific.  If folks want to change it to CET, so be it.  Changing it to a time in UTC would mean that it would be at different times in two halves the year for everyone.  Why would that be good?   (Offset is as far as I can tell irrelevant if you define it as starting at a specific time UTC.  Unless you declare the offset to vary by time of year.  At which point it is easier  to use some other time zone.)

The point of defining the meeting at a fixed time is to avoid the summer time issues. Largely caused by the US and Europe swapping at different times mind you. Look at this as a preemptive strike since summer time is likely to be deprecated anyway.

O.

Today's call

Joel Halpern

I will be at the IETF meeting, IDR session during our call slot.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
Get Outlook for Android

Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at FD.io TSC Meeting

Ole Troan