Date   

REMINDER: Register for the LFN Developer & Testing Forum (June 7-10)

Brandon Wick
 

LFN Technical Communities, 

The LFN Developer & Testing Forum will be held virtually over four days, June 7-10, 2021. Once again we will be gathering the LFN project technical communities to progress our releases; discuss project architecture, direction, and integration points; and further innovate through the open source networking stack. We will use a combination of online tools to create a productive and interactive virtual meeting environment. LFN projects planning participation include Anuket, ODIM, ONAP, OpenDaylight, Tungsten Fabric, and XGVela. 

The event is free of cost and registration is required.
Best, 

Brandon Wick
Senior Integrated Marketing Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1.917.282.0960


Re: Draft revision of FD.io Community Doc (Governance)

Edward Warnicke
 

Vratko,

Thank you very much for catching the omission with regard to the Core Project PTL being able to appoint an alternate Member.  I believe I have updated to fix that.

With regard to your other point on resolving situations that might otherwise lead to violating the

> No more than 50% of the TSC seats may be held by persons employed by the same company.

rule.  I have replaced that line with:

> No Member may be admitted to the TSC if their admission would cause the percentage of TSC seats held by persons employed by the same company to exceed 50%.

It is my belief that this should be sufficient to resolve such issues.

Ed




On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 4:15 AM Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECH SRO at Cisco) <vrpolak@...> wrote:

> TSC Membership shall consist of:

> Core project’s Project Technical Leaders (PTLs).

 

I vaguely remember we want to allow PTL

to select another person to represent the project in TSC.

It may be important as it relates to:

 

> No more than 50% of the TSC seats may be held by persons employed by the same company.

 

It is not clear how this rule interacts with other rules.

 

I mean, for a single selection replacing old TSC members

with the same number of new TSC members, the multiple-candidates methods

can be understood as selecting new members "one by one",

so it is straightforward to track when a company hits the limit

(so its remaining candidates are not eligible from that point on).

 

But what about situations when number of TSC members decreases

(e.g. a TSC appointed member seat expiring, or a legacy member revisited)?

What if a TSC member suddenly steps down

(election for the replacement takes time)?

Or when a member changes without large enough election

(e.g. a new PTL selected by a project, or a new project becoming core)?

 

Some projects have secondary documents handling edge cases

(ODL has rules [1] on how to honor the company cap

when running multiple elections at once).

But for now, I think it would be better to just

add a sentence about (old) TSC members voting

on how to resolve such unforeseen rule interactions.

 

Vratko.

 

[1] https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/TSC+Election+Process

 

From: tsc@... <tsc@...> On Behalf Of Edward Warnicke
Sent: Thursday, 2021-May-20 20:38
To: tsc@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; hicn-dev@...
Subject: [tsc] Draft revision of FD.io Community Doc (Governance)

 

As part of the ongoing discussion around evolving the TSC, and in keeping with the previously socialized slide deck.  Please provide feedback on this PR to update the FD.io Community Doc (our governance doc for how we do things like Elect TSC members).

 

Ed


REMINDER: Register for the LFN Developer & Testing Forum

Brandon Wick
 

LFN Technical Communities, 

The LFN Developer & Testing Forum will be held virtually over four days, June 7-10, 2021. Once again we will be gathering the LFN project technical communities to progress our releases; discuss project architecture, direction, and integration points; and further innovate through the open source networking stack. We will use a combination of online tools to create a productive and interactive virtual meeting environment. LFN projects planning participation include Anuket, ODIM, ONAP, OpenDaylight, Tungsten Fabric, and XGVela. 

The event is free of cost and registration is required.
Best, 

Brandon Wick
Senior Integrated Marketing Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1.917.282.0960


Re: Draft revision of FD.io Community Doc (Governance)

Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)
 

> TSC Membership shall consist of:

> Core project’s Project Technical Leaders (PTLs).

 

I vaguely remember we want to allow PTL

to select another person to represent the project in TSC.

It may be important as it relates to:

 

> No more than 50% of the TSC seats may be held by persons employed by the same company.

 

It is not clear how this rule interacts with other rules.

 

I mean, for a single selection replacing old TSC members

with the same number of new TSC members, the multiple-candidates methods

can be understood as selecting new members "one by one",

so it is straightforward to track when a company hits the limit

(so its remaining candidates are not eligible from that point on).

 

But what about situations when number of TSC members decreases

(e.g. a TSC appointed member seat expiring, or a legacy member revisited)?

What if a TSC member suddenly steps down

(election for the replacement takes time)?

Or when a member changes without large enough election

(e.g. a new PTL selected by a project, or a new project becoming core)?

 

Some projects have secondary documents handling edge cases

(ODL has rules [1] on how to honor the company cap

when running multiple elections at once).

But for now, I think it would be better to just

add a sentence about (old) TSC members voting

on how to resolve such unforeseen rule interactions.

 

Vratko.

 

[1] https://wiki.opendaylight.org/display/ODL/TSC+Election+Process

 

From: tsc@... <tsc@...> On Behalf Of Edward Warnicke
Sent: Thursday, 2021-May-20 20:38
To: tsc@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; csit-dev@...; cicn-dev@...; hicn-dev@...
Subject: [tsc] Draft revision of FD.io Community Doc (Governance)

 

As part of the ongoing discussion around evolving the TSC, and in keeping with the previously socialized slide deck.  Please provide feedback on this PR to update the FD.io Community Doc (our governance doc for how we do things like Elect TSC members).

 

Ed


Draft revision of FD.io Community Doc (Governance)

Edward Warnicke
 

As part of the ongoing discussion around evolving the TSC, and in keeping with the previously socialized slide deck.  Please provide feedback on this PR to update the FD.io Community Doc (our governance doc for how we do things like Elect TSC members).

Ed


REMINDER: LFN Developer & Testing Forum Submissions Due Today

Brandon Wick
 

LF Technical Communities, 

The LFN Developer & Testing Forum will be held virtually over four days, June 7-10, 2021. Once again we will be gathering the LFN project technical communities to progress our releases; discuss project architecture, direction, and integration points; and further innovate through the open source networking stack. We will use a combination of online tools to create a productive and interactive virtual meeting environment. LFN projects planning participation include Anuket, ODIM, ONAP, OpenDaylight, Tungsten Fabric, and XGVela. 

The event is free of cost and registration is required.
Session proposals are due today. Please let us know directly if you have any questions or need more time. Thank you!

Best, 

Brandon Wick
Senior Integrated Marketing Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1.917.282.0960


Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

Maciek Konstantynowicz (mkonstan)
 

I will be delighted to meet DaveK and relay my sincere impressions to Damjan and anybody else who asks …
Cheers,
Maciek

On 13 May 2021, at 12:33, Damjan Marion <dmarion@...> wrote:


Unfortunately I will not be able to meet DaveK. 
Maciek will be my proxy today….

 
Damjan


On 13.05.2021., at 11:16, Ray Kinsella <ray.kinsella@...> wrote:

Looking forward to meeting Dave Kinsella today 😊!

Ray K

From: Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...> 
Sent: Wednesday 12 May 2021 17:52
To: tsc@...; Kinsella, Ray <ray.kinsella@...>; Dave Wallace (dwallace) <dwallace@...>
Subject: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrow's FD.io TSC meeting.

Dave Kinsella has graciously agreed to chair.

Ed




Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

Damjan Marion
 

Unfortunately I will not be able to meet DaveK.
Maciek will be my proxy today….


Damjan

On 13.05.2021., at 11:16, Ray Kinsella <ray.kinsella@...> wrote:

Looking forward to meeting Dave Kinsella today 😊!

Ray K

From: Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
Sent: Wednesday 12 May 2021 17:52
To: tsc@...; Kinsella, Ray <ray.kinsella@...>; Dave Wallace (dwallace) <dwallace@...>
Subject: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrow's FD.io TSC meeting.

Dave Kinsella has graciously agreed to chair.

Ed



Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

Ray Kinsella
 

Looking forward to meeting Dave Kinsella today 😊!

 

Ray K

 

From: Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
Sent: Wednesday 12 May 2021 17:52
To: tsc@...; Kinsella, Ray <ray.kinsella@...>; Dave Wallace (dwallace) <dwallace@...>
Subject: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

 

Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrow's FD.io TSC meeting.

 

Dave Kinsella has graciously agreed to chair.

 

Ed

 


Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrows FD.io TSC meeting

Edward Warnicke
 

Dave Wallace to be my proxy at tomorrow's FD.io TSC meeting.

Dave Kinsella has graciously agreed to chair.

Ed


Re: FDIO Jenkins Maintenance - 2021-05-11 1800UTC - 2000UTC

Dave Wallace
 

The maintenance is complete and so far the CI jobs are looking happier. 

We will continue to monitor the performance of the system.

Thank you again for your patience.
-daw-

On 5/11/2021 1:50 PM, Dave Wallace via lists.fd.io wrote:

What:

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation to perform unplanned maintenance

When:

2021-05-11 1800 UTC to 2000 UTC

Impact:

Jenkins sandbox and production will be unavailable during this time

Why:

The vendor will be moving network gateways to the new data center where the nomad servers now reside to address TCP connection issues aborting FD.io CI jobs.





FDIO Jenkins Maintenance - 2021-05-11 1800UTC - 2000UTC

Dave Wallace
 

What:

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation to perform unplanned maintenance

When:

2021-05-11 1800 UTC to 2000 UTC

Impact:

Jenkins sandbox and production will be unavailable during this time

Why:

The vendor will be moving network gateways to the new data center where the nomad servers now reside to address TCP connection issues aborting FD.io CI jobs.


Re: [infra-steering] FDIO Jenkins Maintenance - 2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Dave Wallace
 

The network issues have been addressed and CI jobs appear to be passing.
We will continue to monitor the status of the CI infrastructure.

Thank you for your patience as these issues we are aware of how irksome these issues have been.

Have a great weekend!
-daw-

On 5/7/2021 1:53 PM, Dave Wallace via lists.fd.io wrote:

Another network anomaly was detected causing very slow git clone performance and is being addressed.  This has caused some jobs to fail and I will issue 'recheck' on VPP gerrit changes as soon as I get word that the latest update has completed.

Thanks for your patience,
-daw-

On 5/7/2021 12:52 PM, Vanessa Valderrama wrote:

Maintenance is complete. Jenkins is operational. If you have any issues, please open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org.


Thank you,

Vanessa



On 5/7/21 10:22 AM, Vanessa Valderrama wrote:

What:

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation to perform unplanned maintenance

When:

2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Impact:

Jenkins sandbox and production will be unavailable during this time

Why:

The vendor will be replacing a network device in attempt to resolve intermittent connection resets during builds.








Re: [infra-steering] FDIO Jenkins Maintenance - 2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Dave Wallace
 

Another network anomaly was detected causing very slow git clone performance and is being addressed.  This has caused some jobs to fail and I will issue 'recheck' on VPP gerrit changes as soon as I get word that the latest update has completed.

Thanks for your patience,
-daw-

On 5/7/2021 12:52 PM, Vanessa Valderrama wrote:

Maintenance is complete. Jenkins is operational. If you have any issues, please open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org.


Thank you,

Vanessa



On 5/7/21 10:22 AM, Vanessa Valderrama wrote:

What:

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation to perform unplanned maintenance

When:

2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Impact:

Jenkins sandbox and production will be unavailable during this time

Why:

The vendor will be replacing a network device in attempt to resolve intermittent connection resets during builds.






Re: FDIO Jenkins Maintenance - 2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama
 

Maintenance is complete. Jenkins is operational. If you have any issues, please open a ticket at support.linuxfoundation.org.


Thank you,

Vanessa



On 5/7/21 10:22 AM, Vanessa Valderrama wrote:

What:

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation to perform unplanned maintenance

When:

2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Impact:

Jenkins sandbox and production will be unavailable during this time

Why:

The vendor will be replacing a network device in attempt to resolve intermittent connection resets during builds.


FDIO Jenkins Maintenance - 2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Vanessa Valderrama
 

What:

Jenkins has been placed in shutdown mode in preparation to perform unplanned maintenance

When:

2021-05-07 1600 UTC to 1800 UTC

Impact:

Jenkins sandbox and production will be unavailable during this time

Why:

The vendor will be replacing a network device in attempt to resolve intermittent connection resets during builds.


LAST CHANCE: 2021 LFN Operations Survey

Brandon Wick
 

LFN Communities:

Now in its third iteration, the LF Networking staff have pulled together an annual LFN Operations Survey. This goal is to solicit feedback from LFN community members to learn how you are engaging with the LFN projects and programs. We'd like to know what you are experiencing, what your challenges are, and how the LFN staff can better support you. Your feedback is very important so please take a few minutes to share your thoughts with us. Responses are due by Friday, May 7th. Please send any questions or feedback to bwick@.... Thank you!


Best,

Brandon Wick
Senior Integrated Marketing Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1.917.282.0960


Catch Up with ONAP and the Honolulu Release

Brandon Wick
 

LFN Communities,

Over 200 developers from 30 organizations collaborated to produce Honolulu, the eighth release of the Linux Foundation ONAP project. Honolulu furthers ONAP’s position as a comprehensive platform for orchestration, management, and automation of network and edge computing services for network operators, cloud providers, and enterprises. Honolulu brings cloud native functionality and increased modularity, increased support for O-RAN, and new functionality around end-to-end 5G network slicing.

We're holding a special edition LFN Webinar on Tuesday, May 11th, 9:00 AM PT  to hear directly from ONAP community leaders Catherine Lefevre, AT&T; John Keeney, Ericsson; Swaminathan Seetharaman, Wipro on the latest in ONAP and to get your questions answered. All registrants will receive the presentation slides. We hope that you'll join us!


Best, 

Brandon Wick
Senior Integrated Marketing Manager
The Linux Foundation
+1.917.282.0960


Re: [Terminology] Guidance for NIST Staff on Using Inclusive Language in Documentary Standards (NISTIR 8366)

Edward Warnicke
 

:). NIST is definitely more together than most :).  https://inclusivenaming.org/ (INI) is trying to bring together folks from all across the industry to work on it, and avoid the ’Tower of Babel’ problem :)

Recently got some nice coverage in the NYT as well: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/technology/racist-computer-engineering-terms-ietf.html (sadly it didn’t go well for IETF in that article… though my sense is they literally started getting traction the week after it went to print, and INI is working with IETF :)

Ed

On Apr 29, 2021, at 4:31 PM, Joel Halpern via lists.fd.io <joel.halpern=ericsson.com@...> wrote:

In the inclusive language discussion, folks had asked what other bodies are doing.  The IETF is still spinning.
 
It struck me that the below note from NIST provides pointers to a number of good starting points if we need to get more careful.
 
Yours,
Joel
 
 
From: Terminology <terminology-bounces@...> On Behalf Of Nick Doty
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 3:45 PM
To: terminology@...
Subject: [Terminology] Guidance for NIST Staff on Using Inclusive Language in Documentary Standards (NISTIR 8366)
 
Today, NIST has published this Internal Report on "using inclusive language" publicly, in part because it may be useful to other standards groups interested in clarity and inclusiveness of terminology.
 
Blog post/announcement:
 
NISTIR 8366:
 
I think both the blog post and the report itself do a good job of describing the particular goals, including some examples (but not especially long lists), and pointing to other resources that might be useful for writing standards that are clear and respectful to a wide range of readers.
 
Hope this helps,
Nick
-- 
Terminology mailing list
Terminology@...
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/terminology



FW: [Terminology] Guidance for NIST Staff on Using Inclusive Language in Documentary Standards (NISTIR 8366)

Joel Halpern
 

In the inclusive language discussion, folks had asked what other bodies are doing.  The IETF is still spinning.

 

It struck me that the below note from NIST provides pointers to a number of good starting points if we need to get more careful.

 

Yours,

Joel

 

 

From: Terminology <terminology-bounces@...> On Behalf Of Nick Doty
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 3:45 PM
To: terminology@...
Subject: [Terminology] Guidance for NIST Staff on Using Inclusive Language in Documentary Standards (NISTIR 8366)

 

Today, NIST has published this Internal Report on "using inclusive language" publicly, in part because it may be useful to other standards groups interested in clarity and inclusiveness of terminology.

 

Blog post/announcement:

 

NISTIR 8366:

 

I think both the blog post and the report itself do a good job of describing the particular goals, including some examples (but not especially long lists), and pointing to other resources that might be useful for writing standards that are clear and respectful to a wide range of readers.

 

Hope this helps,

Nick