Date

Re: nomination committer ci-management

Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)

> Alberto takes care of the release update, so in that case it would be

> his responsibility to take care of ci-management as well.

> Mauro would take care of reviewing

Alright then.

@Vanessa Valderrama Is this thread also for committer votes?

If yes: +1.

Vratko.

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 13:43:11 -0500
From: Thomas F Herbert <therbert@...>
To: Vanessa Valderrama <vvalderrama@...>, bmcfall@...

Vanessa,

I was the PTL. However, the project is no longer active. I would recommend engaging the formal fd.io process to terminate that project unless someone else plans to become PTL and become active in the project.

--Tom

Is the RPM_DPDK project still using Gerrit and Jenkins? Is there a PTL
for the project?

Thomas F Herbert
NFV and Fast Data Planes
Networking Group Office of the CTO
Red Hat

NSH_SFC Question

Vanessa Valderrama

From: Vanessa Valderrama <vvalderrama@...> Sent: Friday, January 31, 2020 2:36 AM
To: Ni, Hongjun <hongjun.ni@...>
Subject: NSH_SFC Question

Is NSH_SFC still an active project?

Re: nomination committer ci-management

Luca Muscariello

> [...]

This [1] link does.

Vratko.

[1] https://gerrit.fd.io/r/q/project:ci-management+(reviewedby:msardara%2540cisco.com+OR+reviewer:msardara%2540cisco.com)+-owner:msardara%2540cisco.com

yes of course, Mauro would be happy to become a committer in ci-management.

Thanks

Luca

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:37 PM Vanessa Valderrama <vvalderrama@...> wrote:

Luca,

Have you discussed this Mauro and verified he is interested in becoming a committer?

On 1/30/20 1:25 PM, Luca Muscariello wrote:

Hi

Mauro Sardara is a committer in cicn and hicn projects

and has contributed quite a bit in ci-management.

Below his contribution to ci-management,

In hicn it would be helpful to have a ci-management committer

Re: fdio/release repository on packagecloud now contains 19900 with some odd artifacts

Luca Muscariello

Dear tsc members,

(with hicn/cicn PTL's hat on)

The current release repo https://packagecloud.io/fdio/release contains 20214
artifacts almost entirely from our projects.
The current binary distribution is composed of 60 deb packages and 30 rpm packages.

Among hicn dependencies we have the latest VPP release, currently 20.01.
The hICN project is composed of 6 committers and we do not support multiple releases
but just the master HEAD.

Our git repo has one single master branch (w/o release branches) and releases are based
on git tags. The branch is tagged with the latest VPP release code, i.e. v20.01 which
is pushed after the VPP project has released the new version. We start catching up
with all VPP updates during the weeks of release preparation made by Andrew.
As soon as Andrew releases the new distribution under "release/" we merge our patches and
change git tag in the hicn repo.

1 - We do not publish hicn binaries under master/ as the vpp dependencies there would not be
compatible with "hicn master" which depends on "vpp stable/"

2 - If we publish under #stable/, we'd create as many artifacts there as currently under
"release/" and at each release we need to update ci-management.

3 - we have no need to keep all these artifacts. So we could just keep the latest
artifacts for each hicn release for archival reasons only. We do not backport anything
in previous releases nor we support our user base with older releases. Packagecloud has a
REST API to manage that well.

4 - as an alternative we could create an independent repo for the hicn project. Still we'd
like to delete obsolete artifacts ad in option 3.

*Option 1* is unfeasible because it requires our user base to have a complex configuration
of apt repos, which BTW only works if packages are well created. This is not always the case.

*Option 2* does not look like a solution to reduce the number of artifacts in a release folder.
It may work in conjunction with option 3. It may work well if we also get one of our committers
in ci-management, e.g. Mauro Sardara who's substantially contributed to ci-management already.

*Option 3* seems useful in general and would allow to
 (i) keep host configuration simple,
 (ii) keep repo size to the right size,
 (iii) avoid  repo duplication as in 4.
if we keep artifacts under release our user-base would be happier as it need not host upgrades.

*Option 4 + 3* would be ok as well.

Thanks for you feedback
Best
Luca

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:37 PM Andrew 👽 Yourtchenko <ayourtch@...> wrote:
Dear TSC,

In the capacity of the VPP 20.01 release manager, I would like to raise your attention to the fact that the fdio/release now contains 19900 files, and the there are some invalid packages, like “honeycomb”, and “-dev”.

This was found as we started CSIT testing for VPP 20.01, and Peter Mikus has a workaround - so it doesn’t impact the schedule for the 20.01 testing. (VPP packages download fine)

However, I wanted to raise this concern.

Are some projects doing so many releases, that it results in almost 20000 files?

Thanks for consideration.

--a

LAST REMINDER: ONES NA CFP Closes Feb 3

Brandon Wick

LF Networking Community:

The Open Networking & Edge Summit (ONES) enables collaborative development and innovation across enterprises, service providers/telcos and cloud providers to shape the future of networking and edge computing.

ONES, will be held in North America April 20-21 in Los Angeles, CA. ONES is the premier event for:
  • Open collaborative community innovation & development across enterprises, service providers/telcos and cloud providers
  • Deep focused Technical, Architectural and Business Discussions in the area of Open Networking (NFVI/SDN/NFV/VNF – enabling automated 5G deployments, Cloud Native Telecom including Kubernetes Networking and Cloud Native Network Functions) & AI/ML enabled use cases for 5G, IoT, Edge and Enterprise deployments
  • Targeted Discussions on Edge/IoT Frameworks and Blueprints across Manufacturing, Retail, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Telco Edge cloud among others key areas
This is the flagship event for LF Networking & LF Edge and all project community members are strongly encouraged to participate. The CFP is now open and we welcome submissions from the LFN & LFE project communities. Proposals for ONES North America are due by 11:59pm PT on Monday, February 3Learn more and submit here.

Registration is also open. Please register early to take advantage of early bird pricing. LF Members are entitled to a 20% discount off the registration price. Register here.

Please send any questions you may have to events@...

Note: Open Networking & Edge Summit Europe will take place Sept 29-30, in Antwerp. Registration and the CFP are also open. Learn more

[...]

Re: New committer hicn/cicn projects

Edward Warnicke

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:01 AM Luca Muscariello <muscariello@...> wrote:
Dear TSC members,

The team of committers has voted to elevate Angelo Mantellini
to project committers in hicn/cicn projects.

Polls are available here

Angelo has done a lot of work to support hicn portability across
all client OSes such as macOS, Windows 10, iOS, Android, Ubuntu.
He also takes care of all software release and distribution
for all these platforms.

More on Angelo's contributions

With the PLT's hat on, I would ask the TSC members to accept
this proposal.

Thank you
Best
Luca

GPL in CSIT

Vratko Polak -X (vrpolak - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco)

We promised to prepare slides explaining the subject.

It is clear we are running too late to have anything for this week.

The topic is not critical for a few weeks,

as CSIT started testing of VPP release 2001,

and we want to avoid big merges until the report is out.

The current Estimated Time of Arrival of the slides: Next week.

Vratko.

New committer hicn/cicn projects

Luca Muscariello

Dear TSC members,

The team of committers has voted to elevate Angelo Mantellini
to project committers in hicn/cicn projects.

Polls are available here

Angelo has done a lot of work to support hicn portability across
all client OSes such as macOS, Windows 10, iOS, Android, Ubuntu.
He also takes care of all software release and distribution
for all these platforms.

More on Angelo's contributions

With the PLT's hat on, I would ask the TSC members to accept
this proposal.

Thank you
Best
Luca

REMINDER: 1 Week Left to Submit a Talk for ONES NA

[...]

Re: Removal of FD.io deb_dpdk resources

Luca Boccassi <bluca@...>

Hello Ed,

I'm happy with the document, and I have no preference for archival.

Thank you!

On Wed, 2020-01-22 at 19:42 -0600, Ed Warnicke wrote:
Luca, Christian,

I have prepared the Termination Review document for consideration at
tomorrow's TSC meeting:

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Deb_dpdk/Termination_Review

If you could:

a) Indicate any preference you may have for where it is archived
b) Review and indicate here that you are cool with how it is
presented in that document

it would be most helpful to us :)

Ed

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:15 AM Edward Warnicke via Lists.Fd.Io <
hagbard=gmail.com@...> wrote:
We'll take it up at the TSC on Thu and get it done. Thank you for
all you've done!

Ed

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM Luca Boccassi <bluca@...>
wrote:
On Fri, 2020-01-10 at 09:18 +0100, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 6:20 PM Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...

wrote:
Christian,
Thank you for reaching out. We’ve enjoyed having you as part
of
our community, and appreciate the work you all do.
Fd.io does not require you to use the Gerri and other
resources we
provide. You are welcome to remain a fd.io project and not
use
them if you so choose.
You are also welcome to elect to move on from being a
fd.io project. Those decisions are entirely in the hands of
your
project committers :)

It would be helpful to us to know which of those choices you
elect,
so that we may proceed in a clear and orderly way :)

While there is no bad history at all with the deb_dpdk FD.io
project.
But I'd think that for clarity's sake and cleaning up I'd want
remove the deb_dpdk FD.io project.

@Luca - you are the only other project committers still active,
are
you of the same opinion?
If yes, I think Ed can go on and trigger the full removal.
Hi,

Yes it's fine for me, having multiple "sources" is confusing for
end
users. Thanks for all the help!

Ed

On Jan 9, 2020, at 9:52 AM, Christian Ehrhardt <
christian.ehrhardt@...> wrote:

Hi FD.io,
The deb_dpdk project is thankful for the home and help that
we
got in our early years.

We used to use the project:
- https://wiki.fd.io/view/Deb_dpdk

And along that resources for
- Gerrit https://gerrit.fd.io/r/gitweb?p=deb_dpdk.git
- I also saw a mirror on https://github.com/FDio/deb_dpdk
- CI
https://gerrit.fd.io/r/gitweb?p=ci-management.git;a=tree;f=jjb/deb_dpdk;h=efcd3beab9f199566ddd1c6e460600fc1f230d64;hb=HEAD

But we have to admit that times have changed and these days
we
are really at home at
- https://salsa.debian.org/debian/dpdk
- https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpdk

Therefore I wanted to let you know that you could free up
the
resources.

We can even discontinue the subproject itself if you let me
know
which process I need to trigger - as an alternative I could
also
just update the deb_dpdk wiki page to point to the new
places.

Keeping the git/gerrit is probably cheap and worth for
history if
you like, but that is entirely up to you.

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

Re: Removal of FD.io deb_dpdk resources

Edward Warnicke

Luca, Christian,

Just as an update.  We discovered looking at the governance docs that the termination review doc needs to be out for two weeks for community review before we can vote on it.
I anticipate we will on Feb 6.  Thank you for all of your collaboration on this :)

Ed

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

REMINDER: CFP for ONES Closes Feb 3

Brandon Wick

LFN Community:

[...]

Registration is also open. Please register early to take advantage of early bird pricing. LF Members are entitled to a 20% discount. Register here.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi