Date

Dave Wallace to be VPP project represetative at TSC

Damjan Marion

Guys,

According to the new fd.io Technical Community Doc:

---
A Core Projects PTL may choose to appoint another committer from that Core Project to represent the core project in their stead.
---

As Dave is already attending TSC meetings for a long period of time and he is very active I decided to appoint Dave to represent VPP project.

Thanks,

Damjan

Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at FD.io TSC Meeting

Ole Troan

Ed,

LOL... I'm OK with us making a choice of timezone to offset into. It just gets my hackles up when folks somehow pretend UTC+offsets are some universal answer to the problem: they aren't.

UTC+offsets is *not* a timezone... ISO 8601 is for identifying *points* in time, not timezones. If we want to set our meetings in the UTC timezone, that's fine, but pretending it's anything but a choice of timezones and is somehow magically universal has been a point of ongoing annoyance for me :)

All of that said, given that the weight of the TSC is in EU, I'm fine picking an EU oriented timezone to anchor the meeting in, like CEST... or even UTC :)
I think it is a misunderstanding that you need a time zone.
You need a fixed reference point in time for when the meeting should happen.
E.g. 1500UTC.

Then it's up to local participants to figure out what they have their watches set to in relation to this.

O.

Re: Dave Wallace to be my proxy at FD.io TSC Meeting

Edward Warnicke

Ray,

LOL... I'm OK with us making a choice of timezone to offset into.  It just gets my hackles up when folks somehow pretend UTC+offsets are some universal answer to the problem: they aren't.

UTC+offsets is *not* a timezone... ISO 8601 is for identifying *points* in time, not timezones.  If we want to set our meetings in the UTC timezone, that's fine, but pretending it's anything but a choice of timezones and is somehow magically universal has been a point of ongoing annoyance for me :)

All of that said, given that the weight of the TSC is in EU, I'm fine picking an EU oriented timezone to anchor the meeting in, like CEST... or even UTC :)

Ed

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 9:33 AM Ray Kinsella <ray.kinsella@...> wrote:

Thanks Ed,

Given your prior experience then.

Can you suggest then, an alternative that might work better?

Ray K