Topics

Project Proposal for DMM

George Zhao

Hello FD.io TSCs

Please accept this project proposal for DMM for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/DMM

If possible I would like to present this on 1/25 TSC meeting.

Thanks,

George

Joel Halpern

Two related sets of questions:

I am having trouble understanding from the proposal page what this will really do?  What problem is it trying to solve?

And I am unclear as to the relationship with vpp or fd.io?  At a guess from the material it is trying to define a general mechanism for multiple applications to share an interface?

Please accept this project proposal for DMM for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/DMM

If possible I would like to present this on 1/25 TSC meeting.

Thanks,

George

Edward Warnicke

George,

I will add this to the future agenda section for Jan 25 for the TSC.

Ed

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...> wrote:

Two related sets of questions:

I am having trouble understanding from the proposal page what this will really do?  What problem is it trying to solve?

And I am unclear as to the relationship with vpp or fd.io?  At a guess from the material it is trying to define a general mechanism for multiple applications to share an interface?

Please accept this project proposal for DMM for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/DMM

If possible I would like to present this on 1/25 TSC meeting.

Thanks,

George

wylandrea

Hi Joel,

This is my understanding.

/yalei

Two related sets of questions:

I am having trouble understanding from the proposal page what this will really do?  What problem is it trying to solve?

And I am unclear as to the relationship with vpp or fd.io?  At a guess from the material it is trying to define a general mechanism for multiple applications to share an interface?

[yalei] Various apps may need match various protocol stack. DMM want to provide a common protocol stack interface/framework between vpp and app, then the unmodified app could use a proper stack based on dynamically or static configuration.

Please accept this project proposal for DMM for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/DMM

If possible I would like to present this on 1/25 TSC meeting.

Thanks,

George

Can that be made to work with existing (e.g. socket) interfaces from the applications?  So that an application that is written to use the Linux kernel stack could by configuration, maybe with some small code changes in its startup code, use fd.io TLDK?

I am having trouble understanding from the proposal page what this will really do?  What problem is it trying to solve?

And I am unclear as to the relationship with vpp or fd.io?  At a guess from the material it is trying to define a general mechanism for multiple applications to share an interface?

[yalei] Various apps may need match various protocol stack. DMM want to provide a common protocol stack interface/framework between vpp and app, then the unmodified app could use a proper stack based on dynamically or static configuration.

Please accept this project proposal for DMM for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/DMM

If possible I would like to present this on 1/25 TSC meeting.

Thanks,

George

Satish

Hi Joel,

The idea is to provide a abstract network stack framework in fd.io such that the framework takes care of choosing the network stack(vpp, lwip, tldk, kernal stack...) based on the Application(QOS), network state etc..

Inline image 1

Here Applications still use posix API syntax but which to use kernel stack or VPP stack or vpp's TLDK or lwIP(lightweight IP)  etc.... decided by the table entry mention above diagram.
This table will be populated by Controller or Orchestrator based on QOS of application or network state or other reasons....

Note: Will have No impact to existing applications.

Thanks & Regards,
Satish.

----- Yes using this framework with the existing interfaces from application it can be made to use TLDK or any protocol stack.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 4:53 AM, Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...> wrote:

[...]

The short answer is Yes.

DMM can and is actually planning to integrated with existing stacks, such as host stack and TLDK.  It can also integrated with other third party stacks, such as Tencent’s F-stack and LWIP.  It is a framework supports both user and kernel space, with multiple protocols and multiple instances.