From: Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...>
Date: Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:23 PM
Subject: Community Oriented Budgeting
To: TAC@... <TAC@...>

In today's TAC Meeting there was a long discussion of 2019 budgeting.

It began with Mazin reporting out that the board was considering a $25k budget per project for community oriented budgeting.  Since that amount is insufficient to cover even table stakes for even small communities for community events etc, Mazin suggested we try to use the time between now and the Oct 17 board meeting to figure out what community needs are, and get them in front of the board.

Upon further exploration of the topic, we determined:

1) The TAC needs to make sure the scope of what community-oriented budgeting is supposed to cover is represented clearly to the board.  Apparently, the board was merely provided a link in a slide when the proposal was presented to them and not a clear statement, and as such may not understand the scope of the ask, thus resulting in insufficient funding.
2) The various TSCs should between now and next weeks TAC work out the amount of TSC discretionary funds needed for that scope, so it can be taken to the board Oct 17.
3) Multiple communities report no ask for input in their TSC meetings thus far on budget needs.
4) Multiple communities have not had their needs met in the last year due to the disconnect between communities and the board.
5) That a request should be put to the board to invite representatives of each community to the Oct 17 board meeting to present their needs for community-oriented budget, so as to avoid disconnect.

Towards these ends, I was asked to kick off the discussion here about the 'scope' of what would be covered by community-oriented budgeting.

***************
1. **Budget:** The Board budgets an amount for the year equal to some factor
   greater than one times the amount allocated by LFN to General and
   Administrative (G&A) funds, to be divided equally among the TSCs of the
   TAC projects for them to spend at their discretion in support of:

   a. Community events - Community events colocated at existing conferences
      as meets the communities needs as determined by each projects TSC.
   b. Marketing in support of those colocated events, including booth
      collateral (booth at broader event at which community event is
      collocated, signs, swag, handouts, food, video, support staff and their
      travel, food, event promotion, etc).
   c. Other community needs as they arise.
   d. This does not include common costs like infrastructure, salaries of
      staff, interns, etc which should continue to be handled centrally by
      the Board.
   e. This does not include large standalone conferences/summits.

This contains both a proposed amount in the abstract and a scope.  I would suggest we focus on the scope in this thread, and leave the amount to the marshaling of needs from the TSCs for discussion at next weeks TAC meeting.

Discuss :)

For today's TSC meeting, I've put together a spreadsheet for us to discuss.

Since the point is to produce an ask to the board for an amount delegated to the FD.io TSC to direct for Community Oriented Budgeting, rather than to 'bake in' specific 2019 spend... the goal is to look at the kinds of things we might want to spend on and make sure we are asking for enough.

Ed

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:24 PM Ed Warnicke <hagbard@...> wrote:
As you can see below, we've been asked to marshal a back-of-the-envelope ask for FD.io's needs for Community Events and misc needs.  I apologize for the short notice, but it only became clear this morning.

Ed