Topics

Honeycomb inactive committers removal

Maros Marsalek -X (mmarsale - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES@Cisco) <mmarsale@...>

Hello TSC members,

We have identified 2 committers in honeycomb project who:

-      Haven’t been active in Honeycomb for the past 6 months

-        Are no longer affiliated with the company, under which they have registered as committers

The committers are

-        Matej Spanik

o   https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/q/owner:%22Matej+Spanik+%253Cmspanik%2540cisco.com%253E%22++project:honeycomb – contribution history for Honeycomb

o   LF-ID: mspanik

o   mspanik@...

-        Varun Seereeram

o   https://gerrit.fd.io/r/#/q/owner:%22Varun+Seereeram+%253Cvseereer%2540cisco.com%253E%22+project:honeycomb – contribution history for Honeycomb

o   LF-ID: vseereer,

o   vseereer@...

I would like to thank both of them for their help, but perhaps it is the right time to remove their accounts from HC’s committer lists, considering their mail addresses no longer exist. Allowing developers with more time for Honeycomb to take their place.

What do TSC members think ?

Thanks,

Maros

Edward Warnicke

Let me separate my comments into a brief point on governance, and then my own personal (non-binding) opinion.

As a matter of governance, removing committers is governed by:

"A Committer for a project who is disruptive, or has been inactive on that project for an extended period (e.g., six or more months) may have his or her Committer status revoked by the project’s Project Technical Leader (PTL) or by super-majority vote of the project’s committers.

The Project Technical Leader is responsible for informing the Technical Steering Committee (TSC) of any committers who are removed or resign."

As PTL, you can remove inactive committers.  While the TSC should be informed, it need not approve.  You have handles these points of governance well.  Please also note that corporate affiliation does not have anything to do with any process around committers being added or removed, nor should it, those should be purely meritocratic matters.

As a matter of personal opinion, when asked at various times by PTLs how to handle removal of committers, I will typically counsel reaching out to inactive committers privately to ask if they wish to remain committers.  If they do not, I counsel asking them to resign rather than removing them (to my taste, it is more seemly).  If they do wish to remain committers, I will usually counsel forbearance, at least for a time, as I have seen committers who do remain interested return to activity after an absence.   Please note, none of this paragraph is binding in any way, all of it is simply my personal advice.  Feel free to follow or disregard it in whole or in part as you see fit :)

Ed

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Maros Marsalek -X (mmarsale - PANTHEON TECHNOLOGIES at Cisco) <mmarsale@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the details.

I mentioned affiliation because the only contact I have is through the non-working affiliated email. Considering also meritocratic matters (there are 0 and 2 commits from those committers in honeycomb) I don’t think there’s need for keeping those committer seats any longer. So I hereby revoke committer status for:

-        Matej Spanik LF-ID: mspanik

-        Varun Seereeram LF-ID: vseereer

Helpdesk (CCed) please remove their rights for Honeycomb project.

Regards,

Maros