Topics

Please add two discussion points to TSC meeting

Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...>

Dear TSC,

I would like to propose two topics to be discussed during the TSC meeting:
* SPDK adoption
* migration/adoption of Python 3 (discussed at VPP project meeting more than a
month ago)

Please, let me know if it is fine and I will attend the TSC meeting to present.

Thanks in advance.

Marco V

SUSE LINUX GmbH | GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409, Nürnberg

Ray Kinsella

Hi Marco,

Can you elaborate on the "SPDK adoption" a bit please?

I would like to propose two topics to be discussed during the TSC meeting:
* SPDK adoption
* migration/adoption of Python 3 (discussed at VPP project meeting more than
a month ago)

Please, let me know if it is fine and I will attend the TSC meeting to present.

Thanks in advance.

Marco V

SUSE LINUX GmbH | GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton HRB
21284 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409, Nürnberg

Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...>

Hi Ray,

I guess your question is because I have just figured that I mispelled the
acronym there.

I had obviously meant SPDX (Software Package Data Exchange).

Anyhow, here's the bit of colour around the "extra topic" request: VPP (like
other FD.io projects) it's using a per-project based approach to licensing and
BOM. SPDX is meant to standardize the communication for software bill of
materials (BOM) so that there's a common ground across projects.
SPDX is also run as a LF project too.

Hope this addresses your question.

Cheers,
Marco

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 11:02 +0000, Ray Kinsella wrote:
Hi Marco,

Can you elaborate on the "SPDK adoption" a bit please?

I would like to propose two topics to be discussed during the TSC meeting:
* SPDK adoption
* migration/adoption of Python 3 (discussed at VPP project meeting more than
a month ago)

Please, let me know if it is fine and I will attend the TSC meeting to
present.

Thanks in advance.

Marco V

SUSE LINUX GmbH | GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton HRB
21284 (AG Nürnberg) Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409, Nürnberg

Marco,

I believe SPDX is already on the agenda. Feel free to add Python 3 as well.  Please do note that the next TSC meeting is January 10th.

One other thing to note, while the TSC can encourage things like SPDX adoption and is a good venue for discussing things like that which are cross project... we cannot *mandate*, we can only persuade.

Ed

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...> wrote:
Hi Ray,

I guess your question is because I have just figured that I mispelled the
acronym there.

I had obviously meant SPDX (Software Package Data Exchange).

Anyhow, here's the bit of colour around the "extra topic" request: VPP (like
other FD.io projects) it's using a per-project based approach to licensing and
BOM. SPDX is meant to standardize the communication for software bill of
materials (BOM) so that there's a common ground across projects.
SPDX is also run as a LF project too.

Hope this addresses your question.

Cheers,
Marco

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 11:02 +0000, Ray Kinsella wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> Can you elaborate on the "SPDK adoption" a bit please?
>
> Ray K

Hi Ed,

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 13:04 -0600, Edward Warnicke wrote:
Marco,

I believe SPDX is already on the agenda. Feel free to add Python 3 as well.  Please do note that the next TSC meeting is January 10th.
Cool; I booked my calendar for the 10th Jan.
I'd like to take the opportunity to wish everybody in the TSC a happy holiday season!!!

One other thing to note, while the TSC can encourage things like SPDX adoption and is a good venue for discussing things like that which are cross project... we cannot *mandate*, we can only persuade.
Yes, absolutely. That's totally understood by me.
All I would like to do is: raise awareness and see if and where SPDX can find a home within the FD.io community. I'm sure that when people start seeing and feeling the benefits of it then the adoption will happen without forcing it.

Marco

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 10:13 AM Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...> wrote:
Hi Ray,

I guess your question is because I have just figured that I mispelled the
acronym there.

I had obviously meant SPDX (Software Package Data Exchange).

Anyhow, here's the bit of colour around the "extra topic" request: VPP (like
other FD.io projects) it's using a per-project based approach to licensing and
BOM. SPDX is meant to standardize the communication for software bill of
materials (BOM) so that there's a common ground across projects.
SPDX is also run as a LF project too.

Hope this addresses your question.

Cheers,
Marco

On Tue, 2018-12-18 at 11:02 +0000, Ray Kinsella wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> Can you elaborate on the "SPDK adoption" a bit please?
>
> Ray K

View/Reply Online (#931):
https://lists.fd.io/g/tsc/message/931

Mute This Topic:
https://lists.fd.io/mt/28790383/675056

Group Owner:
tsc+owner@...

Unsubscribe:
https://lists.fd.io/g/tsc/unsub
  [
mvarlese@...
]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Damjan Marion

--
Damjan

On 19 Dec 2018, at 08:41, Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...> wrote:

[...]

Is this mainly about finding a volunteer to go around the source tree and do search/replace exercise?
Or i missed something? :)

Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...>

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 08:49 +0100, Damjan Marion wrote:

--
[...]

Well... that sounds harsh to be honest.
Eventually, that's what would need to happen if SPDX is accepted.

Or i missed something? :)

However, what I said is "raise awareness" because I haven't seen any talk/discussion/feeling around the use of SPDX and I believe that getting a feeling from the TSC is the first thing which needs to happen.

Damjan Marion

On 19 Dec 2018, at 11:09, Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry, so there is more bureaucracy work than?

Eventually, that's what would need to happen if SPDX is accepted.

good to know.

Or i missed something? :)

However, what I said is "raise awareness" because I haven't seen any talk/discussion/feeling around the use of SPDX and I believe that getting a feeling from the TSC is the first thing which needs to happen.

Seems like right topic for TSC!

Marco Varlese <mvarlese@...>

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 12:07 +0100, Damjan Marion via Lists.Fd.Io wrote:

[...]

The TSC discussion as mentioned few times. Nothing more than that I believe.
However, I don't see that as bureaucracy.
I feel that the SPDX discussion cannot be made exclusively at the VPP project meeting because the real power of its adoption would be to embrace the wider FD.io subprojects. That is the reason why I didn't bring that up at the VPP project meeting.
Further, as a consequence, I feel that it would be a complete waste of time to replicate the same discussion multiple times in the various subproject meetings hence the need to have the TSC (super-partes) to express an opinion about SPDX.

Eventually, that's what would need to happen if SPDX is accepted.

And I'm quite sure it could be scripted...

good to know.

Or i missed something? :)

However, what I said is "raise awareness" because I haven't seen any talk/discussion/feeling around the use of SPDX and I believe that getting a feeling from the TSC is the first thing which needs to happen.

Seems like right topic for TSC!
Good.

View/Reply Online (#936):
https://lists.fd.io/g/tsc/message/936