Topics

Please schedule a TSC vote to approve George Zhao as a Sweetcomb project initial committer

Ni, Hongjun

Hi TSC members,

Sweetcomb project had a vote for Huawei joining Sweetcomb project and George Zhao as an initial committer in last weekly meeting.

10 of 10 attendees agreed to approve it.

Please schedule a TSC vote to approve George Zhao as a Sweetcomb project initial committer.

Thanks a lot!

·        Huawei confirmed to join Sweetcomb project.

·        Background:

Before Sweetcomb project was proposed to FD.io TSC, Huawei wanted to join the Sweetcomb project as an initial founder and committer.

But they need to get internal approval before commitment, it is held on until this week.

This week, they got internal approval  finally and confirmed to join Sweetcomb. They want to become a founder and has an initial committer.

·        Vote: if accepting Huawei as an initial founder and having George Zhao as an initial committer?

·        10 attendees agreed.

·        Need get final approval from FD.io TSC.

Thanks,

Hongjun

Thank you for joining the meeting!  Below is the meeting notes: Please correct me if something missed.

Attendees:

·        Each attendee introduced themselves briefly, so that we know each other.

·        Huawei confirmed to join Sweetcomb project.

·        Background:

Before Sweetcomb project was proposed to FD.io TSC, Huawei wanted to join the Sweetcomb project as an initial founder and committer.

But they need to get internal approval before commitment, it is held on until this week.

This week, they got internal approval  finally and confirmed to join Sweetcomb. They want to become a founder and has an initial committer.

·        Vote: if accepting Huawei as an initial founder and having George Zhao as an initial committer?

·        10 attendees agreed.

·        Need get final approval from FD.io TSC.

·        Discussed the choice between OpenConfig and IETF Yang models.

·        Background from Pavol:

We have a several observations regarding the choice between OC and IETF models:

a.      IETF and OC models can coexist and they generally describe the same thing.

b.      It usually takes years for IETF models to get adopted, such as https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-acl-model/, whereas OC models are published already.

c.      Apart from the dataplane, OC models also describe platform, system, routing.

So, we're thinking we can either have both OC and IETF (+ honeycomb proprietary vpp models) at the same time. Or one or the other via a configuration switch upon start.

The only downside is that as of now, our code is closely tied to OC models – there’s no easy way of pulling that out and plugging in IETF or other models.

·        Vote on three options:

o Option 1: only choosing OpenConfig Yang Models.

o Option 2: only choosing IETF Yang Models.

o Option 3: choosing both OpenConfig and IETF Yang Models at the same time.

·        Majority attendees agreed on Option 3.

i.e. remaining neutral and be able to support OpenConfig, IETF or Honeycomb Yang models.

·        Need to decide if we should make it possible to use “competing” models at the same time.

Jerome send an email to group mail list to initiate a discussion.

·        Sorry to delay this sync meeting to Friday, since Hongjun joined FD.io Mini-Summit and also demoed at FD.io booth at KubeCon NA this week.

Thanks,

Hongjun

_._,_._,_

Links:

View/Reply Online (#59) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

Edward Warnicke

Hongjun,

Could you provide the link to the email record of the vote and to George's list of meritocratic contribution to the Sweetcomb project (usually a gerrit link to his merged commits to the project)

Ed

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 3:20 AM Ni, Hongjun <hongjun.ni@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Hongjun.

Although this is an initial committers for Sweetcomb and the vote was through team meeting instead of email, I think Sweetcomb project has enough committers, and let’s keep it this way for the time being,  you are more than welcome to promote someone who does enough meritocratic contributions in the future.

I will participate in Sweetcomb project meetings and hand it over to more proper internal people to the team.

BR,

George

[...]

I am delighted to know you are involved with Sweetcomb.  My experience has been that every project you've been associated with has benefited from your participation :)

Ed