Topics

Project Proposal for TRex

Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...>

Hi,

Please accept this project proposal for TRex for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/TRex

thanks,

Hanoh

Keith Burns <alagalah@...>

"low cost"?

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016, 4:21 AM Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...> wrote:

Hi,

Please accept this project proposal for TRex for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/TRex

thanks,

Hanoh

Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...>

Hi Keith,

We started as Stateful feature.

In terms of BW/$ we are extremely low cost (x500 lower) than IXIA/Spirent

Thanks,

Hanoh

Please accept this project proposal for TRex for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/TRex

thanks,

Hanoh

Keith Burns <alagalah@...>

Ok I still don't understand.

The software is free right? :)

If you are referring to the hardware for it to run you probably need to separate that.

Ie - runs on xxxxxx hardware.

This is a project scope, not a pitch.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016, 5:00 AM Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...> wrote:

Hi Keith,

We started as Stateful feature.

In terms of BW/$ we are extremely low cost (x500 lower) than IXIA/Spirent

Thanks,

Hanoh

Please accept this project proposal for TRex for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/TRex

thanks,

Hanoh

Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...>

Yep of course. The hardware,   Server/NICs are not free.

Thanks,

Hanoh

Please accept this project proposal for TRex for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/TRex

thanks,

Hanoh

Wiles, Keith

The cost is mostly very similar to the the cost I projected for Pktgen-DPDK. Base cost is around $2000-$3000, which is the cost of the hardware plus it depends in the number and type of port you need for development or testing. You can even run Pktgen/TRex on lower end machines it just depends on the bandwidth/performance needed. Pktgen-DPDK is a simple ASCII GUI like tool for developers to test a number of areas mainly performance and is nothing like T-Rex per say, but does have some minor overlap. Located at http://dpdk.org/browse/apps/pktgen-dpdk/ if you want to play with it.

Regards,

Keith

On 6/20/16, 2:09 PM, "tsc-bounces@... on behalf of Hanoch Haim (hhaim)" <tsc-bounces@... on behalf of hhaim@...> wrote:

Yep of course. The hardware,   Server/NICs are not free.

Thanks,

Hanoh

Please accept this project proposal for TRex for consideration.

https://wiki.fd.io/view/Project_Proposals/TRex

thanks,

Hanoh

Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...>

Hi Keith,
I'm well aware to dpdk-pktgen. It was the first one.

Hanoh

On 20 ביוני 2016, at 20:18, Wiles, Keith <keith.wiles@...> wrote:

[...]

Pierre Pfister (ppfister)

Hello !

It looks like a good news to me.

I never used T-Rex for now. But rather dpdk-pktgen.

But I want to nit-pick too. ;-)
Looking at the doc, it looks like your IPv6 support is way under what you can do in IPv4.
Any plans to change that ?

- Pierre

Le 20 juin 2016 à 19:22, Hanoch Haim (hhaim) <hhaim@...> a écrit :

[...]

Yes you are correct IPv6 is not really supported in pktgen and I do want to add better support. I do accept patches :-)