From: tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Keith Burns
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 2:40 PM
To: tsc@...; discuss@...
Subject: [tsc] "Tunnel" naming convention

Hello,

TSC: can I get 5min on the agenda this week to either give a readout on the below or minimally raise awareness the topic exists.

I was meeting with John Lo last week about an overlay design issue which led to a discussion on configuration.

Currently we use fields like "src" and "dst" in the configuration of things like VXLAN and SR (segment routing).

Note this is NOTa discussion about keys. Semantically what makes something unique is an implementation detail that is use case dependent IMHO and best left to another thread.

What John suggested was renaming things as "local" and "remote". I think this has definite merit and the reason for the wide distro is it would be " nice" (but not mandatory) that fd.io wide we could agree on a convention.

I believe such a change has a limited enough blast radius to be OK post vpp F0 this Friday, but would be nice to have consistent documentation for the VPP 16.06 release.

Wanted to get some discussion going sooner rather than later.

And with that, my administrivia checklist for the day is done and I can in good conscience get back to coding :)