From: <vpp-dev-bounces@...> on behalf of Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM
To: "Dave Barach (dbarach)" <dbarach@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>, "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>
Subject: Re: [vpp-dev] collectd

That looks like a show-stopper to me.

From: tsc-bounces@... [mailto:tsc-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Dave Barach (dbarach)
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:27 PM
To: tsc@...; vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>; Ed Warnicke (eaw) <eaw@...>
Subject: [tsc] collectd

I took a note to have a look at collectd during yesterday’s vpp project call.

There appears to be a license issue. See https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_architecture - “The [plugin] license must be compatible to collectd's own license, the GPL 2.”

Give that all fd.io code carries an Apache2 license, that seems like a showstopper.

Comments from the TSC and community are more than welcome.

Thanks… Dave

Joel Halpern

If the plug in is part of the fd.io project, then as I understand it, it is under the Apache 2 license, not GPL x.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.symantec.com)

From: <vpp-dev-bounces@...> on behalf of Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM
To: "Dave Barach (dbarach)" <dbarach@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>, "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>

That looks like a show-stopper to me.

I took a note to have a look at collectd during yesterday’s vpp project call.

There appears to be a license issue. See https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_architecture - “The [plugin] license must be compatible to collectd's own license, the GPL 2.”

Give that all fd.io code carries an Apache2 license, that seems like a showstopper.

Comments from the TSC and community are more than welcome.

Thanks… Dave

Jim Thompson

Problem is: while the Apache 2 license is compatible with GPL 3, the Apache 2 license is not compatible with GPL 2.  (This according to both FSF and ASF).

At the risk of offending the Cisco people on-list, there is a "Host sFlow" project that seems much more apt than collectd.

Both Host sFlow and collectd can 'plugin' to tools like Graphite:

and logstash (normally part of an ELK stack):

From: <vpp-dev-bounces@...> on behalf of Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM
To: "Dave Barach (dbarach)" <dbarach@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>, "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>

That looks like a show-stopper to me.

I took a note to have a look at collectd during yesterday’s vpp project call.

There appears to be a license issue. See https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_architecture - “The [plugin] license must be compatible to collectd's own license, the GPL 2.”

Give that all fd.io code carries an Apache2 license, that seems like a showstopper.

Comments from the TSC and community are more than welcome.

Thanks… Dave

Alec Hothan (ahothan) <ahothan@...>

I’m not sure if the license compatibility rules only apply to runtime or also apply to source code packaging as well.

Regardless, one option for dealing with collectd plugin licensing would be to create one separate git repo just for fd.io related collectd artifacts (with the right license). This has the added benefit of evolving at a different pace and versioning the collectd plugin separately from the vpp repo - only downside is the potential inter-repo versioning overhead.

No personal preference between sflow and collectd, they’re both equally interesting to have and I don’t think they have to be exclusive (the more options the better as long as they are maintained properly).

Steve’s python collect plugin is actually pretty small (few hundred python lines) and can be pushed to open source if there is interest (with any license that works with collectd). It has not been tested really hard but seems to work reasonably well.

Thanks

  Alec

From: <vpp-dev-bounces@...> on behalf of Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM
To: "Dave Barach (dbarach)" <dbarach@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>, "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>

That looks like a show-stopper to me.

I took a note to have a look at collectd during yesterday’s vpp project call.

There appears to be a license issue. See https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin_architecture - “The [plugin] license must be compatible to collectd's own license, the GPL 2.”

Give that all fd.io code carries an Apache2 license, that seems like a showstopper.

Comments from the TSC and community are more than welcome.

Thanks… Dave

Ed: correct me if I’m wrong, but IIRC we must not put GPLv2 into an fd.io gerrit repo...

Thanks… Dave

From: <vpp-dev-bounces@...> on behalf of Joel Halpern <joel.halpern@...>
Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM
To: "Dave Barach (dbarach)" <dbarach@...>, "tsc@..." <tsc@...>, vpp-dev <vpp-dev@...>, "Ed Warnicke (eaw)" <eaw@...>