Questions about router plugin

Alberto Compagno (acompagn) <acompagn@...>

Hi all,

I have few questions about the project. I noticed that the router plugin does not compile with VPP 19.04. Any plan to make it compatible with the current stable version of VPP?

Moreover, in the vpp project there is a netlink device implementation. Is that an effort to go for the approach LD_PRELOAD described here (https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP_Sandbox/router)?  If so, what is the status of this approach?

In the roadmap of the project, did you consider merging the router plugin in the vpp project? Or do you plan to keep it as a separate project?

Thanks,

Alberto

Damjan Marion

On 25 Jun 2019, at 14:38, via Lists.Fd.Io <acompagn=cisco.com@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have few questions about the project. I noticed that the router plugin does not compile with VPP 19.04. Any plan to make it compatible with the current stable version of VPP?
Moreover, in the vpp project there is a netlink device implementation. Is that an effort to go for the approach LD_PRELOAD described here (https://wiki.fd.io/view/VPP_Sandbox/router)?  If so, what is the status of this approach?
In the roadmap of the project, did you consider merging the router plugin in the vpp project? Or do you plan to keep it as a separate project?

That plugin have one major design flaw, it is not using standard binary API calls to program dataplane.
If there is volunteer to make this right and actively maintain it, i don’t see a reason why it cannot be the part of the vpp repo.

My 2 cents….

—
Damjan

Ray Kinsella